ReactOS CD won't boot

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thunderchild

ReactOS CD won't boot

Post by Thunderchild »

I have tried both the live CD and the boot CD. The only thing i can think of is that I used DVD's not CD's, is this a problem? both give the same errors, just can't about anything at all.
LuxenDM

Re: ReactOS CD won't boot

Post by LuxenDM »

Thunderchild, ReactOS is still in an alpha state, and many drivers and what not arent ready yet. If you wanna use it, try emulating it.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Come on Thunderchild! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5oSYlUoI2M Apologies.

PS. This thread is another example as to why the download page needs to have more information regarding the current state of ReactOS, ie. Alpha.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Thunderchild

Post by Thunderchild »

I have been trying off and on for the last couple of years to get this particular machine to boot with reactos, what hardware does it actually support ? the project has been going for many years and it does not seem to be of any practical use. Perhaps trying to copy windows is just not worth it ?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

ReactOS isn't of any practical use, perhaps you don't understand the state that Alpha implies?

If you are trying to get any practical use out of ReactOS then it is you that is making a mistake. You must use an alternative o/s that is stable and supported that has progressed beyond alpha stage. I am surprised that being aware of ReactOS over a few years, you haven't also made yourself aware of this fact, seems strange.

Whether it is worth trying to 'copy' Windows is not really for you to judge. I suggest you don't have much to contribute in this respect. ReactOS won't ever proceed according to your own personal timescales and you may have noticed the world does not necessarily rotate correspondingly to your own personal desires. That said, ReactOS will complete when it completes and so perhaps you'd be better off looking elsewhere for an o/s.

Have fun in your search.

PS There is a recent thread here on the forum that suggests suitable unix alternatives, have a browse and it may help you in your search for a 'practical use' o/s .
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Thunderchild wrote:I have been trying off and on for the last couple of years to get this particular machine to boot with reactos, what hardware does it actually support ?
I would like to ask a few questions:
1. Have you ever had ReactOS install and run on any hardware?
2. Is it just "this particular machine" that you want to run ReactOS with?

Now to answer some of your questions:
ReactOS will boot from both CD and DVD!
Older hardware is better supported!

I would suggest you try something at least 10 years old.

The ReactOS developers use a Dell Latitude D531 for testing.

Have a look at this wiki https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs. It is somewhat neglected these days, but should give you or anyone else an idea of what hardware is likely to successfully run ReactOS.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Thunderchild

Post by Thunderchild »

no I am not expecting reactos in it's current state to be of practical use. I am just wondering if after 20 years or more of development and trying to keep up with the changes to windows is this project worthwhile or is the goal simply research rather than an actual OS ? I know that it ties closely with WINE for linux. I have a windows machine down at the moment so I thought I'd see where reactos is with development and try it on what is currently a blank machine whilst I look into the windows issues. The problem with linux is that it won't run the various cad software I use and is generally a pain. I don't play with OSes for fun I just want something that works. Linux generally has specific issues no one wants to fix as that means they were wrong and that can't be or i am told I should have the same programming skills as linux developers just to use the damn thing.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well for someone who does not want it to be of practical use it seems strange to state:
"it does not seem to be of any practical use"
- so which is it?

I'm still not really sure why you are here. If you are asking what ReactOS is for currently? Well I've already answered that. If you want to know what other uses it has or will have then follow the fourth link in my signature.

Please be aware that your last post is lacking grammar and punctuation and therefore the readability is low, especially for those whose English is their second language (the majority here), please improve next post. When making comments here it might be wise to be ready to ask a real question, be sure as to why you are really here so that you can make a clear and precise post. If you are just here to state an opinion be sure the opinion has some fact or prepare to be shot down in flames.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Please be aware that your last post is lacking grammar and punctuation and therefore the readability is low, especially for those whose English is their second language (the majority here), please improve next post.
'dizt3mp3r'
I don't think this was required in front of everyone.
Everyone does not need to see this.
However that is important advice which should be added to 'code of conduct' if that hasn't been added already.
You could PM.
Hope you understand.

Hi,
Thunderchild
I am from Fairchild Republic. :lol:
Your last post seems good to me because of the fact that you mentioned how useless linux really is.
I would like to add that it is even hard for developers / programmers to use it.
At least I think that the joy of walking is ruined if I have to look down to confirm that I am placing my foot on safe ground.

Another thing. There are people here who found ( I mean finding by searching ) this project when they were 15 years of age.
Now they are 30 years of age after almost 15 years. If you become frustrated then what will they do ?
I don't want to join that list too.
I think you don't want to join either.
But be patient.
I think that you should read all the changelogs for every ReactOS release.
Also read the blogs in the main website if you have time.
Reaching here was not easy at all.

I am not a developer or programmer but I am a fool.
Open Your Windows To Freedom
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Don't worry about correcting people's grammar Adcock. This forum requires readability and you will find that first-time posters are regularly corrected. The correction is to be helpful not critical.
I am not a developer or programmer but I am a fool.
no need to bring yourself down.
middings

Post by middings »

Thunderchild, you failed to identify the release or revision of ReactOS that you are attempting to use. You also failed to identify the hardware you are attempting to run ReactOS on. These are very basic requirements for any support request you ever make for any software product. See here, here, here, and here.

Also, please use your best conversational English writing when posting in these forums. Here, you are not sending quickie cell phone SMS texts to your buddies. Using less than your best conversational English writing is rude to everyone here, especially to participants who use English as their second (or third or fourth...) language. Everyone here can tell the difference between someone whose English is deliberately sloppy and a speaker of English as a second language who struggles to be understood in English.

The hardware most likely to run ReactOS is hardware that shipped with 32-bit Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Server 2003 installed. The next best hardware is hardware whose manufacturer claims that it supports 32-bit Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Server 2003 and provides all necessary drivers for one or both of those operating systems. Hardware not advertised as compatible with Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Server 2003 but can run a later 32-bit version of Microsoft Windows than XP SP3 might work if you are lucky. Hardware never built to boot any version of Microsoft Windows (e.g., Apple brand computers and Android laptops) probably will not boot ReactOS at all.
Artras

Post by Artras »

Have same problem but it boot withe no USB divice conectet
Same on live or boot. Ver.0.4.6
oldman

Post by oldman »

Artras wrote:Have same problem but it boot with no USB device connected
Same on live or boot. Ver.0.4.6
You could try one of the latest builds. But remember, don't try any version yet on your main computer!
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.