Live image is infected?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobn9lvu

Live image is infected?

Post by bobn9lvu »

Is the live image infected? As upon download Kaperski reports it has a virus.
mrmajik45

Re: Live image is infected?

Post by mrmajik45 »

No, it doesn't have a virus on it. Kapersky is always over its head.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Use virus total to help determine whether a specific file is being reported as a false positive. It is a useful online tool that compares the file with 30 or more of the main a/v packages. When you are convinced that a file is safe then report it back to the specific a/v vendor as a false positive.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

The infection which Kaspersky (and most likely any antivirus software) has detected is a false positive.

The plausible cause (wild guess) for antiviruses detecting ReactOS as a rogue malware is because of Dr.Watson implementation by Jansen which collects some debugging information when an application crashes and bundles them in a dump crash file.

So, don't panic. ReactOS' contents and everything are safe, sometimes antiviruses can screw up things.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Anti Virus apps are bullshit. All of em. New Viruses are not detected and detecting old ones is useless. Only thing they cause is money for em and us administrators for fixing crap they cause on Windows networks.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Wol

Post by Wol »

I too found that when I downloaded the live installation Chrome blocked it when it finished downloading: "reactOS-0.4.8-live.zip is dangerous so Chrome has blocked it."

I think I downloaded from reactos.NET - not .ORG: is that site a legitimate reactOS webpage?
oldman

Post by oldman »

Wol wrote:I too found that when I downloaded the live installation Chrome blocked it when it finished downloading: "reactOS-0.4.8-live.zip is dangerous so Chrome has blocked it."
I think I downloaded from reactos.NET - not .ORG: is that site a legitimate reactOS webpage?
Use https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/ to get your ISO images and you should not have any problems (they are safe).
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Wol

Post by Wol »

oldman wrote:
Wol wrote:I too found that when I downloaded the live installation Chrome blocked it when it finished downloading: "reactOS-0.4.8-live.zip is dangerous so Chrome has blocked it."
Use https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/ to get your ISO images and you should not have any problems (they are safe).
Yes, but IS the .net site genuine? In other words, is it a real ReactOS site or a false one?
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Wol wrote:Yes, but IS the .net site genuine? In other words, is it a real ReactOS site or a false one?
IP Addresses are same for each domain:

Code: Select all

> reactos.org
Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com
Address:  8.8.4.4

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    reactos.org
Addresses:  2a01:4f8:141:446b::1:10

> reactos.com

Name:    reactos.com

> reactos.net

Name:    reactos.net
Wol

Post by Wol »

Thank you. From that I assume the .net site is yours as well as the .org. Forgive me for being pedantic, but I am rather paranoid about internet security, not up to geeky standards and did wonder if it was a spoof site that mimicked ReactOS in order to allow malware downloads.