[BootCD] How can I add a driver into the BootCD?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tatl

[BootCD] How can I add a driver into the BootCD?

Post by Tatl »

Hello.

I stumbled upon ReactOS quite recently, which is quite a shame considering I'm a Linux user since a while now and I never found out ReactOS during my researches for free and open-ource operating systems, somehow.

Anyway, I'm someone who lives on the edge; and even though I don't have a lot of development skills (yet), I have quite good skills in debugging things. As such, I'd like to help the ReactOS developers by finding out problems; but I should get to install it first!

I can't stick to VMs. Hyper-V will install it but it won't get to desktop; the OS runs flawlessly under QEMU or VirtualBox but it's slow. I have quite old and poor computers only, and since I live on the edge, I'd like to install the OS on real hardware.

Now, my older rig encounters a BSOD when starting the BootCD. It's the daily dd653de revision (since there aren't builds for the 9e2dd86 one yet). At first, it had the 0x0000007B STOP error, which is an error I had with Windows XP caused by missing SATA drivers. Under XP, however, I had two options: adding the SATA drivers into the disc image or switch to IDE. I chose to add the drivers.
Here, ReactOS is a bit different, so I decided to switch the controller to Native IDE. However, I get a I01_INITIALIZATION_FAILED (0x00000069) STOP error, which I've read is caused by a failure in I/O initialization. The thing is: I don't know why.

I used two different medias for this: a DVD+RW and a USB media. Both actually throw the same errors in the same conditions. Note that there is no other USB device attached to the computer when the CD is used (I have PS/2 peripherals).

The next thing I'd like to try is to add the SATA drivers into the ReactOS install disc. But I don't know how to do that properly. The appropriate drivers for my motherboard are found on this thread from the Fernando's Win-Raid forum.

I could add those drivers into the XP install disc using the nLite utility. But it doesn't work for ReactOS for its install disc is completely different.

So, my current question is: how can I add such drivers into the ReactOS' install disc?

=======================================
Small summary of my older rig.
Motherboard; Packard Bell MCP73PV
CPU: Intel Pentium E5300 @ 2.60 GHz.
System memory: 4096MB.
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce G210.
=======================================

Thank you in advance.
mrmajik45

Re: [BootCD] How can I add a driver into the BootCD?

Post by mrmajik45 »

First: USB Booting is not supported right now.

Second: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Build_Environment This is how you modify reactos
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
Tatl

Post by Tatl »

mrmajik45 wrote:First: USB Booting is not supported right now.

Second: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Build_Environment This is how you modify reactos
All right, so I cannot add the driver's binaries directly into the ISO file?

And I tried installing the OS using a DVD+RW too, with the same issues, so even if the installer cannot boot from USB, the crash I get happens before the USB problem kicks in. Even if the installer can't boot from USB, I should at least be able to patch the ISO to burn the DVD+RW with it.
oldman

Post by oldman »

To get more info, you would need to get a null modem cable (serial to serial), then capture the debug info into a terminal, such as Putty with a second computer, saving it to a file; that is if the install process gets far enough to output debug info.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Tatl

Post by Tatl »

oldman wrote:To get more info, you would need to get a null modem cable (serial to serial), then capture the debug info into a terminal, such as Putty with a second computer, saving it to a file; that is if the install process gets far enough to output debug info.
Unfortunately, I don't have that stuff; however, I have noticed that the user in this thread (which is below mine by 3 threads!) has the same STOP error. While not necessarily caused by the same problem, I will check out the LiveUSB suggested by cernodile to him as soon as possible.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

If it's a USB problem, this ISO might help you: https://sourceforge.net/projects/reacto ... 8-CLT2018/ It contains the new USB stack not being active in trunk yet
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Tatl

Post by Tatl »

EmuandCo wrote:If it's a USB problem, this ISO might help you: https://sourceforge.net/projects/reacto ... 8-CLT2018/ It contains the new USB stack not being active in trunk yet
Yes, that is what I was talking about. But I can't check it out right now.
Tatl

Post by Tatl »

Okay, so both the 0.4.8 BootCD and BootUSB ISO images boot to a black screen on my two computers (right after loading the boot drivers) using either the DVD+RW or the USB media, and I can't provide any debug log.

Perhaps I'll just stay away from ReactOS for now, sticking with Server 2003.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, as you see, it's still stuff to do here ^^ Anyways, thx for testing the ISOs ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Tatl

Post by Tatl »

Wait... I went into the BIOS and disabled AHCI and Onboard USB Controller. The DVD crashed with the 0x00000069 STOP error again. I went back into the BIOS and reenabled everything. When rebooting, I went a bit busy and the computer started on the HDD (GRUB2), so I turned it off by pressing the POWER button and turned it back on. I booted into the DVD and it actually booted and installed the OS without giving any 0x0000007B STOP error as it should have. It properly detected the disk and all partitions!

I then booted into Archlinux (installed the BootLoader in VBR only) because I expected GRUB2 to find ReactOS with os-prober, but it did not. So I rebooted on the DVD, and it worked again! I reinstalled the OS on the same partition, but replaced the MBR this time (I have an Archlinux USB media to get GRUB2 back if ReactOS fails). It properly started ReactOS, but sadly it crashes while installing the devices (sudden freeze, no BSOD). Restarted in Debug mode and I got a 0x0000000A STOP error (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), which is a STOP error I already met with Windows and might be related to the GPU.

The thing is that I didn't reburn the DVD since then. I'm going to try it again with the latest GCC build (this one is the MSVC).
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Well ReactOS always keeps trying, so it finally found a way past a problem.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
Tatl

Post by Tatl »

Okay, so the latest build reported a different STOP error when installing the devices, 0x0000001E (HDAudBus.sys), which I deduct is the sound card.

I entered the BIOS and disabled Onboard Audio Controller, but it did not help. The same STOP error occurred.

So, finally, I am going to try the stable 0.4.8 build again. Maybe it'll work this time after all.

EDIT: The stable 0.4.8 build has the same STOP error, so I guess this is another problem related to the sound card.
EDIT2: Turns out the Sound Card is builtin the motherboard, thus being part of the NVIDIA MCP73 device.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We really should fully disable the HDaudbus driver... this one is well known.

Tatl

Post by Tatl »

My computer requires the installation of the NVIDIA HD Audio Driver (and/or Realtek HD Audio Driver) to have working audio under Windows XP/Server 2003 to 10. Perhaps this driver detects my card as "compatible" and fails upon startup?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, sort of. The driver is.... non functional at all and causes what you see. But of course it tries to handle the detected HD Audio. This sounds like being worth to be reported in Jira...

Best "solution" I can think of right now is removing the sys file from the install medium or from the the installed on ROS partition. Install medium can cause other problems, so removing/renaming on the ROS partition could be the way to go in that case.

Welcome to the world of alpha state OSes ^^