ReactOS Arm build status / building apps for ReactOS ARMv7

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

mars_ashworth

ReactOS Arm build status / building apps for ReactOS ARMv7

Post by mars_ashworth »

Hello all,

I read the comment on the download page for the ports for the ARM build that it was not under development but there's also no mention of the current state of the port either. Is it at the point where it boots to the desktop environment? It mentions it boots but that could mean anything really.

I was originally looking at using ReactOS as a full blown drop in replacement for windows but since that backfired, have now moved to Linux on my Orange PI PC2 with poor substitutions for my applications. Now that i have settled into this setup, i want to get back into developing applications again and thought why not develop for ReactOS Arm by switching out my SD card when i want to be in ReactOS. My question now is ... are there any development apps built for the ARM build? Because reading pages on the wiki it kinda sounds like it boots into the desktop and ... thats about it. But I wanted to get clarification on that since its not "under active development" and i'd really love to be able to do my own work on my own applications to at least get ahead.

I can compile from source, thats not the question here. I just want to clarify if its even possible to build apps on ReactOS Arm atm. If i could use something like CodeLite, then that would be enough to get me started.
mars_ashworth

Re: ReactOS Arm build status / building apps for ReactOS ARM

Post by mars_ashworth »

Before anyone jumps up and down ... I have only just received the Orange PI PC2 in the mail last week, and I have installed virtualbox but haven't run the package for the ReactOS ARM because ... unlike the x86 version theres no iso, so I'm assuming i have to compile it; but i wanted to make sure BEFORE i do so that it will actually be useful for me to do so because i want to design apps for ReactOS.

EDIT : After reading again, i think i now understand it that the ROSBE Unix should run in the debian virtualbox on my Orange PI PC2
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Sorry, I can't speak to a lot of what you're asking, but I do know that the state of the ARM port is basically "broken and abandoned".

Forum search for "ARM port": search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&keywords=ARM+port

Here's a thread from earlier this month: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17213&hilit=ARM+port

Another discussion about porting: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16656&hilit=ARM+port
Another: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16601&hilit=ARM+port
And another: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14047&hilit=ARM+port
One from 2015: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14027&hilit=ARM+port
An older one: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11285&hilit=ARM+port
And a weird one: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12622&hilit=ARM+port
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

mars_ashworth wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:47 am I can compile from source, thats not the question here. I just want to clarify if its even possible to build apps on ReactOS Arm atm. If i could use something like CodeLite, then that would be enough to get me started.
karlexceed wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:12 am Sorry, I can't speak to a lot of what you're asking, but I do know that the state of the ARM port is basically "broken and abandoned".
But we still have a hope, since ReactOS is looking for ARM developers. :)

Follow this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17977
mrmajik45

Re: ReactOS Arm build status / building apps for ReactOS ARMv7

Post by mrmajik45 »

And with Windows On Arm, we can get some drivers.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Here is an ARM article....

Look at "Build using a MinGW toolchain supporting ARM",

https://gist.github.com/MIvanchev/14de5 ... 0cf1c0b01e
mars_ashworth

Post by mars_ashworth »

I'm hoping that we can get ReactOS here on Orange PI PC2 or higher models, because at the moment i'm running a linux kernel and ... well the apps i need to run just don't work and the 'compatible or alternative' software is garbage. I really want the few apps i use regularly to work on a PI so that i can ditch both the microsoft platform and project incompatibility. I primarily use this for our "localnet / offnet" systems where we have backups in case of emergency etc. Relying on microsoft to support an operating system long term, or even supply the means to keep windows updates on their server has proved that i can't rely on that. And with linux constantly changing their forks and improving their UI making older hardware impossible to use with the UPGRADE functions, i've had to also nuke linux flavours off of the list.

=IF= ReactOS is a viable alternative that will allow us to both run cheaper ARM hardware in case of emergency and maintain a system that i can run on 12v power, that can also have a 'reactos update' OrangePI server then i can actually code apps etc. that will patch any software gaps aside from the core applications we need to operate our small rural business.
mars_ashworth

Post by mars_ashworth »

I'm not looking to run Steam or anything (although someday it would be -nice- to have that sort of compatibility layer) but i'd like to at least be able to run windows based executables and build apps myself using Visual Studio. As i mentioned in another thread also, i do a lot of work in 3D; we work mostly on building applications and games in Urho3d and Visual Studio, specifically C# target. Having OpenGL work without any troubles would basically fulfil the niche i have right now. It sorta sounds like that's the direction the project is heading but i don't want to bank on it.

We are currently specifically focused on audio production - (I'm using FL Studio 12), so assuming that the ARM64 port will still run standard windows applications i'd assume once we have audio /usb driver support and Directx 12 support this should run no problem. We use this for creating music for educational videos and materials (to avoid copyright issues) on our internal project websites. It is literally the only application that I need beside Visual Studio in ReactOS to continue coding. So if that works, then i can migrate.

But that's probably another year or two away.

Meantime i bought a desktop PC to work from. I'm madly coding away trying to make as much as i can with what time i have and just praying everything happens in a timeframe that will allow me to migrate all my data over before we HAVE to make the switch to 12v at the new campus.