GeForce 9500GT and other drivers not working

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ShinIori319

GeForce 9500GT and other drivers not working

Post by ShinIori319 »

Hello.
I don't know if I'm posting in the right forum.
I just managed to install ReactOS (0.4.8) on a secondary partition in my computer.
While trying to install most drivers, I started running into problems, starting with my video card.
I have a GeForce 9500GT, which I tried to install using this driver, which is actually listed in your Supported hardware list for GeForce 9600GT. I extracted the files, and used the "Add New Hardware" wizard.

The driver seemed to install without apparent problem, but upon restarting, nothing would show up after the boot screen disappears. Even the monitor goes into Power-saving mode. I've had two ocassions where I'd even get a Blue screen with a "BAD_POOL_CALLER" error.

UPDATE: I've also tried installing other drivers: Realtek High Definition audio codec and the Intel INF Update Utility.
With the Realtek driver, it simply hangs on the "Installing the driver" phase (after the files are copied), slowing ReactOS down.
Intel INF Utility: The self-extract file crashes with a critical error (memory cannot be 'read'), and the contents need to be extracted, the extracted installer runs, but it doesn't seem to copy anything. It simply skips to the "Installation successful" screen. I know it doesn't copy anything, because the process usually takes a couple minutes under Windows.
dizt3mp3r

Re: GeForce 9500GT and other drivers not working

Post by dizt3mp3r »

OK, Approach this two ways. First of all, raise a bug on JIRA but check to see if the problem has already been encountered. Check the forum and see if any other has also had the same problem with similar hardware, hang around and hope for the best that someone will help and tinker a bit. It might take a while.

Secondly, accept that ReactOS is in Alpha and this is perfectly normal for an alpha o/s. Lower your expectations and realise that you are simply checking to determine what does not work and helping to raise bugs/awareness/the pool of knowledge around ReactOS. That way you will not be disappointed when something/everything fails. In general expect most to fail at some point.

Real hardware testing will always be fraught with problems. There are a few real hardware threads here and the best bet is to try to match the hardware that currently works. Otherwise just use ReactOS within a virtual environment. What I am saying is that if you are looking for a working o/s for your hardware then you are in the wrong place. If you are happy to test and report/raise bugs then your feedback is appreciated.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ShinIori319

Post by ShinIori319 »

I've reported it to JIRA this morning, hopefully it will be attended sometime soon.

I know ReactOS is Alpha. I expect it to be as unstable as it is, and that's also why I take the time to report this issue, so it gets taken care of. Maybe not everyone has the same hardware setup as me, but I'm sure at least one will have one of the devices I own.

Personally I prefer to test in a real environment, rather than virtualization. I tried it long ago. I used to tinker with virtual machines, but to be honest I'm no longer fond of it. Plus, I've seen development on ReactOS has been mostly focused in working on virtual machines. They shouldn't just focus on that, and work on stabilizing it on real hardware, cause I guess that's the aim, isn't it? Making ROS work on most hardware like any other OS?

ReactOS is not my main OS of course. I have Ubuntu and many Windows systems with VHD booting. I've decided to install ReactOS for testing and playing around with for the time being. And of course I'll be reporting whatever bug I find. Unfortunately I cannot C++ for now. Otherwise I'd do something more useful to contribute.
middings

Post by middings »

"Supported hardware list" might not be the best name for that list. The word "supported" might imply that the ReactOS Project gives extra attention to the hardware and drivers mentioned in the list. Or, "supported" might mean that the current release of ReactOS will work with the products on the list. Neither is true.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

ShinIori319 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:23 amI've reported it to JIRA this morning, hopefully it will be attended sometime soon.
Before creating bug reports in JIRA you should read this: https://reactos.org/wiki/File_Bugs