[Solved] Problems booting ReactOS from Grub

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Elessar

Re: Problems booting ReactOS from Grub

Post by Elessar »

Julcar wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:25 pm Hdausbus is a recurrent problem, just boot from windows and delete that file, Reactos should boot now
I deleted those files and got a blank screen. However, I did a fresh install, deleted those files from Windows, then continued the installation. ReactOS has now finally finished installing!

My problem now is this: every time I boot into ReactOS, Freeloader sets itself as the default bootloader, even though when I installed ReactOS, I choose the option to install Freeloader on VBR only.

I have successfully added my Windows 7 entry to Freeloader, and I can go back and forth between the bootloaders as many times as I want. However, is there a way to prevent ReactOS "taking over" the BCD?

I haven't found anyone else having mentioned this before. Should be looking into opening a bug in JIRA?
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

Elessar wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:30 am
Julcar wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:25 pm Hdausbus is a recurrent problem, just boot from windows and delete that file, Reactos should boot now
I deleted those files and got a blank screen. However, I did a fresh install, deleted those files from Windows, then continued the installation. ReactOS has now finally finished installing!

My problem now is this: every time I boot into ReactOS, Freeloader sets itself as the default bootloader, even though when I installed ReactOS, I choose the option to install Freeloader on VBR only.

I have successfully added my Windows 7 entry to Freeloader, and I can go back and forth between the bootloaders as many times as I want. However, is there a way to prevent ReactOS "taking over" the BCD?

I haven't found anyone else having mentioned this before. Should be looking into opening a bug in JIRA?
Your boot loader should be grub4dos, and from inside grub4dos menu you should be able to boot windows and reactos separately, doesn't needed to add an entry on Ros bootloader to boot windows
Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Julcar wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:55 am
Elessar wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:30 am My problem now is this: every time I boot into ReactOS, Freeloader sets itself as the default bootloader, even though when I installed ReactOS, I choose the option to install Freeloader on VBR only.

Your boot loader should be grub4dos, and from inside grub4dos menu you should be able to boot windows and reactos separately, doesn't needed to add an entry on Ros bootloader to boot windows
I realize that. The only reason I added the entry to the ROS bootloader (Freeloader) is because every single time I boot into ROS, even if WinBCD/Grub4Dos is the current default bootloader, ROS sets the default bootloader to Freeloader. Thus, I have currently added WinBCD/Grub4Dos (so I can boot to Windows 7) to the ROS bootloader in order not to be constantly switching the default bootloader.

So to clarify, here's how I set up the system to boot:
BIOS -> WinBCD/Grub4Dos (can boot to Win 7) -> Freeloader (can boot to ROS)

Whenever ROS boots up, it changes the boot sequence to:
BIOS -> Freeloader (can boot to ROS) -> WinBCD/Grub4Dos (can boot to Win 7)

As I mentioned, I can boot into both operating systems, so my computer is functional. At this point, I'm merely concerned about ROS asserting Freeloader as the default bootloader.
hbelusca
Developer

Re: [Solved] Problems booting ReactOS from Grub

Post by hbelusca »

The problem is that nowhere in ReactOS code is present a code that "resets" the default bootloader to freeldr, **apart in the setup code** that is normally run only once, i.e. when you install ReactOS.
Elessar

Re: [Solved] Problems booting ReactOS from Grub

Post by Elessar »

hbelusca wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:56 pm The problem is that nowhere in ReactOS code is present a code that "resets" the default bootloader to freeldr, **apart in the setup code** that is normally run only once, i.e. when you install ReactOS.
Hmm, I wonder then if there is something in my configuration of Grub, partitions, etc. that is not working properly. I just tried resetting the boot sequence back to BIOS -> WinBCD/Grub4Dos (can boot to Win 7) -> Freeloader (can boot to ROS), and now I can't get Freeloader to boot properly. I'll probably have to reinstall.

Perhaps I'll simply stick to testing ReactOS in a virtual machine for the present.