Directions for making/booting live CD.

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Walt

Directions for making/booting live CD.

Post by Walt »

I have read a couple dozen questions/answers looking for my problem.
I know what 'alpha' means.
I have a Dell Dimension 4700 that runs XP very nicely.
I would like to make and boot a CD (actually, DVD-R) to see what ReactOS looks like. No chance I want to install it now -- very unlikely there's enough function.

I've downloaded a 'live CD' image -- current, I think. Burned it to a DVD-R. Attempted to boot. It tried but quit 'unable to find freeldr' or something like that.

I'm thinking I need step-by-step directions for doing this.

AND: Does ANY USB support work? I'm currently using USB keyboard and mouse but could go PS/2 if need be.

As an aside: In reading here it's clear that there are A LOT of very basic questions (like mine!) that could well be answered in a 'Newbies Read This First' post. I looked -- I didn't find one.

THANK YOU!
oldman

Re: Directions for making/booting live CD.

Post by oldman »

You have two options, one is to use a livecd (as you have) and the other option is to use a Virtual Machine.

Booting from a livecd should be straight forward with no problems. I would advise you to remove anything that is attached to any external USB port. If booting fails the first time, then try again, don't give up at the first (or even the second) attempt. If you are unable to load the OS, then try a newer version.

Use one of the latest builds or the 0.4.10 release candidate

With a Virtual Machine you would need to get the bootcd version of ReactOS. You can do much more with the installed version than can be done with the livecd.

There is a guide here to setting up VirtualBox
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Walt

Post by Walt »

Holy COW! This thing is WAY BEYOND cool!

Removing all USB (& going with PS/2 keyboard & mouse) seems to have been the trick. Many, MANY thanks!

I tried quite a lot of what the live CD had to offer; everything worked. All it really needs to go into parallel daily use is the ability to install Firefox and work with WiFi. Or I suppose I could string an Ethernet cable to the router.

I've got a spare machine next to this one & it has a PATA hard drive as a backup ... if the board has a place to hook it up directly -- don't remember -- I'll install ReactOS there. I believe I remember that ReactOS doesn't yet speak SATA?

Otherwise I'll look for another machine with an earlier motherboard. I'll find some way to get it on an HDD.

If ReactOS gets whatever is needed to support recent Firefox versions it'll become primary here.

Again THANKS TO ALL! Maybe my computing future isn't altogether grim (Linux ... Ugh!) after all.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It MUST not be your primary system by any stretch of the imagination. It is not ready for use and so be prepared for corruption and/or crashes. If you can cope with that then by all means go ahead, test and report back any issues.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.