S3 video and COM Mouse drivers needed!

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ZORAN

S3 video and COM Mouse drivers needed!

Post by ZORAN »

Hi I have a friend who uses ReactOS on his PC cause his w98 stopped working
The problem is that he has no S3 Trio 3D video driver so he can't even run DOSBox and he doesn't have a PS/2 or USB ports on his PC
So I was wondering if there was reactOS drivers for such stuff
Please help, cause I don't know how to help him!
GoBusto

Re: S3 video and COM Mouse drivers needed!

Post by GoBusto »

Main Page wrote:Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.8 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use.
Your friend would be better off either buying a copy of Windows XP or using another OS, such as Debian with WINE.

He could always download Windows Server 2008 and use it freely for 60 days if he needs a Windows-based OS right now, since Server 2008 is essentially just Vista without the shiny graphics (see Wikipedia's System Requirements Page for Server 2008).

Of course, it depends on whether his Windows98-level PC has the necessary system requirements. If not, then Windows Home Server (based on Windows Server 2003, which is basically Windows XP) might be a better choice - although it does require more HDD space (see Wikipedia's System Requirements Page for Home Server).

Of course, he could always cut out the middleman and install FreeDOS, rather than relying on DOSBOX.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

ZORAN wrote:Hi I have a friend who uses ReactOS on his PC cause his w98 stopped working
The problem is that he has no S3 Trio 3D video driver so he can't even run DOSBox and he doesn't have a PS/2 or USB ports on his PC
So I was wondering if there was reactOS drivers for such stuff
Please help, cause I don't know how to help him!
The thing you should try first is the live cd, if it works you could try to run it, if it works you should be able to install the bootcd too, if not don't bother trying to install on the HD. The driver for Com mouse should work, however it was back in the 0.2.4 days I tried it the last time. About the S3 Trio I don't remember if it is a VESA 2.0 compliant video-card, if it is it should work with the ReactOS standard driver, else you are stuck with the ReactOS VGA driver (640x480x256).
gyROS

Post by gyROS »

ZORAN wrote:The problem is that he has no S3 Trio 3D video driver
Depending on which S3 Trio 3D your friend is using, you can find 2000/XP drivers here: http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/ ... rchive.jsp. For one card of this series there is a 2000/XP driver.

For my S3 Trio64V+ (definitely VESA 1.2) I did not find any 2000/XP driver until now. The latest driver S3 offers is for NT4.
Jaix wrote:About the S3 Trio I don't remember if it is a VESA 2.0 compliant video-card, if it is it should work with the ReactOS standard driver, else you are stuck with the ReactOS VGA driver (640x480x256)
In my case the VBEMP.SYS driver did not work at all. I had to rename it and use VGA.SYS (640x480x16).
ZORAN wrote:Please help, cause I don't know how to help him!
Perhaps by downloading and burning a Win98 CD. If he has got a valid license for it, that should not be completely illegal (depends on where you are). If you prefer ReactOS to this legal gray-zone, try to find the needed drivers on e.g. the S3 page.

If someone accidently knows how to install them and is willing to tell us, I'd be thankful as well.