Disable "Drag and Drop" option

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

shunesburg

Disable "Drag and Drop" option

Post by shunesburg »

Hi,
Is there an option to disable the Drag and Drop in the Explorer ?
If not it will be good to implement one to reduce the mistakes with the mouse.
middings

Re: Disable "Drag and Drop" option

Post by middings »

ReactOS's design target is Microsoft Windows 2003, which is very similar to Microsoft Windows XP. To maintain compatibility, ReactOS often implements a feature in a very similar way or uses a comparable registry entry. I searched the Internet and found this article. This article and its comments will probably tell you more about the Windows GUI's Drag and Drop feature than you ever want to know:
"When people ask to disable drag and drop, they often are trying to disable accidental drag and drop" by Raymond Chen, The Old New Thing (blog)

See also Raymond Chen's later post, "If you disable drag/drop on the Start menu, you also disable right-click" for an explanation of an unpleasant side-effect of disabling drag and drop in Windows XP.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

middings wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:37 am ReactOS's design target is Microsoft Windows 2003, which is very similar to Microsoft Windows XP.
Yes, I know, I meant "there is an option in ReactOS or Windows XP to make that and if yes where is it ?".
But you answer me with your URLs (There is no option but with thresholds in register keys, you can fix the mistake).
Thank you.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

The only way I've seen to "disable" drag and drop in Windows XP explorer is detailed here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/497 ... -drag-drop
First you have to Enable the My Computer Security Zone in Internet Options.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Internet Settings\Zones\0
Value Name: Flags
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 21 (in hexadecimal) or 47 (in hexadecimal)

47 (in hexadecimal) = My Computer security zone displayed

Then...

Internet Explorer | Security tab | My Computer Zone | Miscellaneous Settings | Disable: Drag and drop or copy and paste files
However, even though this registry key exists and causes the "My Computer" zone to be displayed in Internet Settings, there are no further options to configure. So for the time being, this won't work on ROS.
middings

Post by middings »

shunesburg wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:13 am...I meant "(is there) an option in ReactOS or Windows XP to (do) that and if yes where is it?".
To answer such a question, I search the ReactOS web site first. If I cannot find an answer (or even a clue) there, I search the Internet. I assume that the ReactOS way to do things is usually similar to the Microsoft Windows XP way of doing things. This usually reveals how to find a feature ReactOS shares with Windows XP.

If I still cannot find an answer, I ask for help in the Support forum. People smarter and more considerate than me always include a summary of what they have already tried with their question. (I should quit forgetting to do that.) This is a good practice in any help forum, chat room, or mailing list. When I do that, I avoid wasting other people's time or being told to try something that I have already tried.

See Eric Raymond's essay, "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way", especially the section "Before you ask".
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

middings wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:21 am To answer such a question, I search the ReactOS web site first. If I cannot find an answer (or even a clue) there, I search the Internet. I assume that the ReactOS way to do things is usually similar to the Microsoft Windows XP way of doing things. This usually reveals how to find a feature ReactOS shares with Windows XP.
Really, you didn't think a second, I didn't searched before asking that here ?
Of course I did. I'm not Eglish native but I have looked for in my own language and after in English, but I found only register keys (the same as middings). After that I ask here because I thought some people have better knowledge in Windows/ReactOS as me and maybe one know a cleaner and better option.