The source code

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mohamed_Mezo

The source code

Post by Mohamed_Mezo »

Hi everyone,
I have 14 years old :geek: .
I know that i am young to talk about this but please read.

I downloaded the source code of ReactOS (v3.0) to help me in my OS development.

I am developing another operating system so that my question is :

Can I use the source code of ReactOS in my new operating system and change the Reactos name to my new OS name , add my name on it and sale it ?
:?:
---------------------------
Thank you in advance :D .
Haos
Test Team

Re: The source code

Post by Haos »

Speaking in general, yes. You cannot remove copyright information from code itself, you cannot copy the code without providing information on where was it copied from, who was the author etc. You cannot relicense the code without author's permission. Plus bit more

Please see the license details: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
Mohamed_Mezo

Post by Mohamed_Mezo »

How can I get the author's permission?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Depends on what you plan to do. In most cases there is an email address or contact info within the copyright block.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You're not going to get permission for relicensing the code.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You can do with it what the license we use is allowing you. ReactOS uses several Licenses inside its Code, so you have to follow them when you use parts of our code. The license is seen in the code file and if not, you should ask the Coder of it.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
wojo664

Post by wojo664 »

Code: Select all

Can I use the source code of ReactOS in my new operating system and change the Reactos name to my new OS name , add my name on it and sale it ?
Don't forget about that ROS at the moment is in Alpha stage, and lots of it's planned functionality is not yet implemented. Also selling something that is almost the same as the free version, will not produce good sells... people will just download the free version instead of paying for it... And I think You will need to make some sort of facilities to make the modified code public.. The source code is very big ( I think 3-4 GB, not counting additional branches and forks of the code) and You will need to upload it somewhere ...
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

3-4 gig??? its about 400 MB.
GPL means you have to make your changes to our code available. btw
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

All the branches combined build up fast. One reason I'd like us to think about pruning some of them.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

we have your name, we have your IP, and we probably have your email address. Since you don't have our permission to relicense our code, I warn you that if you try to go ahead with your plans and not publish your code modifications etc, we will track you down.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hey, Lone_Rifle, keep cool. No need to warn him of something he did not even start with yet.

Mohamed_Mezo

Post by Mohamed_Mezo »

I want to know : What is the benefit of the source code if i can't use it in the things that i want?? :roll: :!:
Mohamed_Mezo

Post by Mohamed_Mezo »

The thing that i want to do is : changing the shell and the all dynamic link library to fit my requirement in other words build another operating system on Reactos kernel (Hybird).
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Which you are free to do, but you have to follow the rules the GPL demands from you.
No relicense, no removal of copyright headers, has to stay open if its based on our code and can be closed if its your development.

Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

You can't do anything that breaks the terms of the source code license.
And what you want to do seems to me an infrangement of the GPL.