The source code

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: The source code

Post by Z98 »

Technically, building a new OS on top of the ROS kernel can be done, he just needs to release all of the changes he made to our code. But if he replaces libraries wholesale, he does not have to release the code of those libraries so long as he has the copyright to them. We have a binary linking exception after all. But the chances of him being able to pull this off is slim to none. I have the feeling he's going to try to use code from other free software/open source projects who will also have licenses, and he's going to trip over those even as he trips over ours.
wojo664

Post by wojo664 »

400 mb
Strange... Maybe the compile process doubled/tripled the size... Or I accidently downloaded whole code avaliable...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

The built trunk does indeed take up to 4 GB of space, but most of this is for object files, created by compilator. Sources itself weight around 400 MB.
Mohamed_Mezo

Post by Mohamed_Mezo »

OK.
Can i read the whole source of ReactOS and trying to understand it then start writing a new
operating system that depends on my understanding of the source code?
zefklop
Developer

Post by zefklop »

Yes, you can... Beware that the temptation to copy-paste is never far... And if you succeed, please let us know, I'd like to see what resembles a one man made OS.
Redline_1

Post by Redline_1 »

Question, I have made a batch OS, I was planning to have a very modified ReactOS come with it so that it can run. Would I be allowed to sell my batch OS part for a price, but then send out the modified ReactOS free with it? (The Batch OS auto-installs onto ReactOS from a separate disk)
Konata

Post by Konata »

Redline_1 wrote:Question, I have made a batch OS, I was planning to have a very modified ReactOS come with it so that it can run. Would I be allowed to sell my batch OS part for a price, but then send out the modified ReactOS free with it? (The Batch OS auto-installs onto ReactOS from a separate disk)
what does this even mean

if some software needs an underlying operating system to function than it isn't an OS, it runs on an OS

Why did you bump a 7 year old thread

And what is a batch OS? Do you mean batch processing or do you literally mean batch scripting?

I have so many questions
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It sounds like a tool for submitting and handling detached tasks, a scheduler of some sort. That is all I can imagine it to be if it needs an o/s in order to run.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Redline_1

Post by Redline_1 »

Konata wrote:
Redline_1 wrote:Question, I have made a batch OS, I was planning to have a very modified ReactOS come with it so that it can run. Would I be allowed to sell my batch OS part for a price, but then send out the modified ReactOS free with it? (The Batch OS auto-installs onto ReactOS from a separate disk)
what does this even mean

if some software needs an underlying operating system to function than it isn't an OS, it runs on an OS

Why did you bump a 7 year old thread

And what is a batch OS? Do you mean batch processing or do you literally mean batch scripting?

I have so many questions

Ok, I came up with a different idea, since I don't now assembly or C, I have come up with a way that can install the batch part onto the system and turning off the gui. (Which is task killing explorer.exe) Also, it does need an underlying NT BASED system to run (batch files can only run in Windows, but also ReactOS because it is NT based). Also I didn't know that you couldn't bump an old thread until after I posted this. A batch OS is like a command line style OS (bit like MS DOS, etc) but runs in an OS.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Well. It seems everyone is having difficulty understanding what is a Batch OS.
It's not that 'Batch OS' is not a well known term.
But reading Redline_1's latest post I assume the following lines :
Batch OS is like Linux without a GUI.
It's just that Redline_1 is trying to do the same with Windows NT architecture.
Redline_1 good plan.
So it's basically Command-line interface(CLI) or Text-based user interface(TUI).
For Batch OS I would go with the command-line interface because TUI's can be like GUI too.
For example Norton Commander.
Some TUI's also have mouse support.
However CLI's don't have mouse support.(I don't think so)

But the comparsion with DOS doesn't feel right except for the UI.
Because a Linux or NT based OS even without a GUI is way more powerful than any DOS.

By the way why do you want to make such an OS?
An OS can't run inside an OS.
(unless virtualized)
So your program is an OS or it is an application that will run inside ReactOS.
From your writing I assume that you have created an alternative Shell for ReactOS.
And I think that yours is a CLI shell like bash or pksh.
That's brilliant!!!
Though Windows has CMD.EXE and PowerShell but those are just programs which run under the GUI shell of Windows.
(Windows Shell is the only Windows 'shell' installed by default and it is a GUI shell.)
Windows never had a CLI shell which fully replaced the default GUI shell.

Here is another type of Batch OS.
Open Your Windows To Freedom
Konata

Post by Konata »

Adcock every time you try and write your stream-of-consciousness of trying to understand something technical you sound like my grandmother

No one's having trouble understanding what a Batch OS is, we all know what an IBM mainframe is. We don't understand if he's trying to make an actual batch-processing OS (no, not like Linux, nothing like Linux, or the actual Unixes that came decades before it, not even like DOS, not even like ITS, nothing like any of those, you don't know what a batch OS is, you're the one struggling to understand what a batch OS is) or, something else. Which I'm not sure what could be. I'm trying to imagine some sort of user interface written in batch but that's impossible.
val

Post by val »

Konata wrote: No one's having trouble understanding what a Batch OS is, we all know what an IBM mainframe is. We don't understand if he's trying to make an actual batch-processing OS (no, not like Linux, nothing like Linux, or the actual Unixes that came decades before it, not even like DOS, not even like ITS, nothing like any of those, you don't know what a batch OS is, you're the one struggling to understand what a batch OS is) or, something else. Which I'm not sure what could be. I'm trying to imagine some sort of user interface written in batch but that's impossible.
this quote
Ok, I came up with a different idea, since I don't now assembly or C, I have come up with a way that can install the batch part onto the system and turning off the gui. (Which is task killing explorer.exe) Also, it does need an underlying NT BASED system to run (batch files can only run in Windows, but also ReactOS because it is NT based). Also I didn't know that you couldn't bump an old thread until after I posted this. A batch OS is like a command line style OS (bit like MS DOS, etc) but runs in an OS.
I guess quite clearly shows the guy is talking about a general purpose CUI/TUI OS without graphical interface.
He just thinks that his batch files don't require underlying OS interfaces. :) He emphasizes it is not using them, and still states he's gonna "modify hard" ReactOS for his "OS" to run on. Why? It's not using all that, why to modify it? "Batch OS" should run bare metal.

The bolded sentence summarizes that mess the author has with respect to at least terminology. I have no idea what really his "Batch OS" does*.

PS. It's Batch OS, batch! :D

* - just read he is gonna sell his batch os, that probably means, it does nothing. :lol:
Last edited by val on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Uuuuh, running a OS inside a OS is not impossible and nope, you don't need virtualization for that. Ever heard of coLinux? It's a full Linux OS ported to from Ring 0 to Ring 3 in a interesting way over a driver and thus getting it's accesses from NT kernel, similar to win32k subsystem and thus running easily inside Windows. Or ever heard of Docker? I have a Core Server 2016 running inside Docker on a Standard Server 2016 for testing purposes and that's no virtualization. Btw, Windows NT has some kind of basic console only mode. You just never see it (except these days where MS thinks a Core or Nano Server is a good idea, which it is NOT!). There are even some ways to show it on ROS.

If you can sell it... good question. I am not sure if all code used is free for commercial use, because no one ever asked us if he can sell parts of a Alpha Quality OS.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Konata : I am sorry. From now on I will keep my hands off the keyboard.(Technical matters only)
val : Thank you.
EmuandCo : I am deeply Sorry about the mess.
However the hidden CLI interface of Windows is something I did not know. I never used it.
Where can I get more info about this?
Open Your Windows To Freedom
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Easiest way is a Evaluation Server Version and then choose Core Server or the one without Desktop Experience on Setup. It should be the same thing like the Docker one aka CLI only. But thats another topic.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...