ReactOS 64 Bit Questions

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zlm1229

ReactOS 64 Bit Questions

Post by zlm1229 »

I am well aware that ROS is still alpha level software, but aren't they trying to tip toe into the NT4+ (Vista +) range?
What issues will arise due to ROS going from 32 to 64 bit?
Also wouldn't it be best for ROS to feature a toggle to say hey for Google Chrome, lets identify ROS as Windows 7.
I know ROS is alpha, but I think its time to introduce these ideas into the community.
What are your thoughts?
mrmajik45

Re: ReactOS 64 Bit Questions

Post by mrmajik45 »

They're trying man :( Be patient
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You know that you 2nd suggestion already exists, do you?
64 bits still needs work to boot completely, but as you might know it's far from just recompile and you have working 64 bits. Timo Kreuzer is working on it and showed nice progress pics recently.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Let's see how trivial it is to make a working ReactOS 64-bit :
https://github.com/reactos/reactos/pull/361
Not so trivial, afterwards!
zlm1229

Post by zlm1229 »

EmuandCo wrote:You know that you 2nd suggestion already exists, do you?
64 bits still needs work to boot completely, but as you might know it's far from just recompile and you have working 64 bits. Timo Kreuzer is working on it and showed nice progress pics recently.
What do you mean by my second suggestion already exists, did I miss something during testing?
zlm1229

Post by zlm1229 »

mrmajik45 wrote:They're trying man :( Be patient
Haha I am :)
This project started in 1995, I'm amazed it works this well :)
zlm1229

Post by zlm1229 »

hbelusca wrote:Let's see how trivial it is to make a working ReactOS 64-bit :
https://github.com/reactos/reactos/pull/361
Not so trivial, afterwards!
I never expected it to "Trivial," I've looked at the code, there is nothing "Trivial" about it. All I meant is in the very far future, when ROS replaces Linux and Windows, and creates a Empire of ROS, it should be 64 bit. I just wanted to know if there is work on it, and apparently there is :)
Thank you for the help Mate :)
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

zlm1229 wrote:when ROS replaces Linux and Windows
I kind of doubt ROS will ever replace Windows. Now, replacing Linux is possible. I think why most people don't use Linux is because it lacks user-friendliness. Now if ROS becomes a thing, I don't see any reason why we would need Linux anymore. Having all the best server functionality and being open-source just like Linux, as well as being able to run everything Windows can.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

zlm1229 wrote:
EmuandCo wrote:You know that you 2nd suggestion already exists, do you?
What do you mean by my second suggestion already exists, did I miss something during testing?
Check the right click menu of an executable and see the compatibility tab. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
middings

Post by middings »

zlm1229 wrote:I am well aware that ROS is still alpha level software, but aren't they trying to tip toe into the NT4+ (Vista +) range?
Your very first sentence is off-topic for the topic you just created, zlm1229. I suggest that if you wish to discuss this further then you should create another topic for this issue. I suggest that before creating a new topic, you should use the ReactOS Forum's search feature* to find and read earlier discussions related to your topic. But beware, do not post to existing topics that have been inactive for more than a year. (That is dubbed 'necroposting' and is discouraged by the ReactOS Forum Code of Conduct.)

Vista is NT6. The ReactOS project's current compatibility target is NT5.2.
What issues will arise due to ROS going from 32 to 64 bit?
I suggest using the ReactOS Forum's search feature to find and read earlier discussions about this. The ReactOS Wiki has an AMD64 page and a ReactOS Ports page. The book Windows Internals, 4th edition, is useful to read. I hear that the 5th edition is "awesome" although it has significant Vista (NT6) coverage that is less relevant to ReactOS at this time. These books are often in the libraries of universities with decent CS/CE departments.
Also wouldn't it be best for ROS to feature a toggle to say hey for Google Chrome, lets identify ROS as Windows 7.
You are off-topic on your own topic again. :roll:

EmuandCo has answered this for you earlier in this topic. However, if you had searched the forum before asking you would have discovered that your concern is widely shared by the ReactOS community and the development team (devs) have worked on this.
I know ROS is alpha, but I think its time to introduce these ideas into the community.
What are your thoughts?
You were not the first one in the ReactOS community to introduce these ideas.

"Let us stand on each other's shoulders, not on each other's toes."--heard at a meeting of the Homebrew Computer Club, circa 1977-8

* The ReactOS Forum's search feature is awkward to use. (Or, I am too stupid to figure out how to use it well.) What I do is to first perform a 'dummy' search when inside a topic within one of the ReactOS forums. When this dummy search reports results (which I usually ignore), I choose "advanced search" and perform the search again. Regular search only searches the current topic. Advanced search can search throughout the entire ReactOS Forum.