ReactOS webserver on realhardware!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jaix
Moderator Team

ReactOS webserver on realhardware!

Post by Jaix »

I have set up a new test-machine. It's on a P3 450MHZ on a 100/100Mb/s line, I will make this mashine official when I have a nice site to precent to the world, the problem is that I am not a web designer, I'd like some help, can someone set up a nice ReactOS test site with some pages with all kinds of pictures and downloads in all kinds of formats, pdf, svg, flash, doc, downloads and so on no more then 50M big? Then when it's stable it will be news good enoug for slashdot.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Re: ReactOS webserver on realhardware!

Post by Dr. Fred »

Jaix wrote:Then when it's stable it will be news good enoug for slashdot.
You don't really want your home connection to be slashdotted do you ?
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Switchboy

Post by Switchboy »

Jaix wrote:I have set up a new test-machine. It's on a P3 450MHZ on a 100/100Mb/s line, I will make this mashine official when I have a nice site to precent to the world, the problem is that I am not a web designer, I'd like some help, can someone set up a nice ReactOS test site with some pages with all kinds of pictures and downloads in all kinds of formats, pdf, svg, flash, doc, downloads and so on no more then 50M big? Then when it's stable it will be news good enoug for slashdot.
The formats you want are all client sided. I don't know if php & mysql already work, but you might want to create some dynamic pages that have to be build serverside. :wink:
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Switchboy wrote:
Jaix wrote:I have set up a new test-machine. It's on a P3 450MHZ on a 100/100Mb/s line, I will make this mashine official when I have a nice site to precent to the world, the problem is that I am not a web designer, I'd like some help, can someone set up a nice ReactOS test site with some pages with all kinds of pictures and downloads in all kinds of formats, pdf, svg, flash, doc, downloads and so on no more then 50M big? Then when it's stable it will be news good enoug for slashdot.
The formats you want are all client sided. I don't know if php & mysql already work, but you might want to create some dynamic pages that have to be build serverside. :wink:
agreed, some php/mysql cms with some standard features like a guestbook to show of to the world would rock ;) I'd be happy to code/design some... I'm just kinda empty when it comes to web design last days... I'll see.
-graey-
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

Dr. Fred wrote:You don't really want your home connection to be slashdotted do you ?
It is my company's connection and it is 100/100Mb/s, so it will hold for a while, I am more worried about ReactOS stability. And it is not connected to the company's network, it's a single line, one fibre, one WAN-ip. Now I have had that computer up-n'-runnin' for a coupple of hours. Not to heavy load, but on the last trunk (which is pretty unstable) Then I will run the latsest trunk with the latest cache manager patch that fixes some regressions.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

geertvdijk wrote:
Switchboy wrote:The formats you want are all client sided. I don't know if php & mysql already work, but you might want to create some dynamic pages that have to be build serverside. :wink:
agreed, some php/mysql cms with some standard features like a guestbook to show of to the world would rock ;) I'd be happy to code/design some... I'm just kinda empty when it comes to web design last days... I'll see.
Well, I'm open to anything, I am just locked to one thing the TinyWeb server by Ritlabs, it is a really small webserver (only 53KB big) http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/tiny ... id=1156018

It's the only webserver known to run on ReactOS and it is a bit limited. But it does run cgi, so it is possible to make advanced things that way, I have tried to get php (cgi-version) going with TinyWeb, but I didn't succeede, but I think it should, someone could have a shot and then teach me the thing.
More information and examples can be found on their homepage and in the download zip-file. http://www.ritlabs.com/download/tinyweb/tinyweb.zip
michael79

Post by michael79 »

Jaix wrote:
geertvdijk wrote:
Switchboy wrote:The formats you want are all client sided. I don't know if php & mysql already work, but you might want to create some dynamic pages that have to be build serverside. :wink:
Well, I'm open to anything, I am just locked to one thing the TinyWeb server by Ritlabs, it is a really small webserver (only 53KB big) http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/tiny ... id=1156018

It's the only webserver known to run on ReactOS and it is a bit limited. But it does run cgi, so it is possible to make advanced things that way, I have tried to get php (cgi-version) going with TinyWeb, but I didn't succeede, but I think it should, someone could have a shot and then teach me the thing.
More information and examples can be found on their homepage and in the download zip-file. http://www.ritlabs.com/download/tinyweb/tinyweb.zip
ZazouMiniWebServer also works great on reactos. It support cool
features such as password protected folders and PHP (yes, PHP works
on ReactOS!). I don't think MySQL does. I haven't tested PHP 5 but
if it works, you can use SQLite embedded database for your site.

Good luck
Switchboy

Post by Switchboy »

I'm working on a design...
If you don't like it please tell me and I'll try to fix it. Designing layout isn't something that I do on a daily basis so it might look a little unproffesional at some points.
Maybe a good design?
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Dr. Fred wrote:
Jaix wrote:Then when it's stable it will be news good enoug for slashdot.
You don't really want your home connection to be slashdotted do you ?
Please you use static html pages and no server side scripts. So you will be able to resist a slashdot attack :wink:
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Or wack a mole. Yes that is a program. Load blancing between many http servers. http://www.backhand.org/wackamole/ . Two guide servers. 4 back servers will take the most extream slashdoting without trouble. We really need to be able to use ATA over Ether so servers can share harddrives.

I would guess it would be 0.9 before wack a mole like system support. Maybe sooner.
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

I think this is an overall good idea, but I should warn you that the FSF and their strict followers oppose hosting flash content (or java) until a free flash player (gnash) is developed, and I bet a usable one won't be out for a year or so.

Although quite frankly, if the FSF does make a big deal out of us using flash, we may get alot more interest in our project simply as people find out about its idea.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

Jaix wrote: It's the only webserver known to run on ReactOS and it is a bit limited. But it does run cgi, so it is possible to make advanced things that way, I have tried to get php (cgi-version) going with TinyWeb, but I didn't succeede, but I think it should, someone could have a shot and then teach me the thing.
I think you should edit your opening post with the fact that it has to be cgi. I guess it's a bit of a problem with the open source fanboys here ;).

As for if you are able to sustain a slashdot "attack", I really think that a 100 mbit line is good enough in case any downloads are not very big in size (I think 50 MB is still a big much). However, I should say that a P3 450 Mhz doesn't sound really fast to me. Maybe you can borrow a better pc to sustain a slashdot attack, and change it back to your P3 once the article is no longer on the frontpage?

As for the website, I suggest a test site with a guestbook (and keep the main page static HTML in order to save your processor), a small download (maybe a song, this is a nice one, found here, or maybe ReactOS 0.2.9 and 0.3.0. SVN with mirror link to the official download in case the slashdotting slows it down too much), at least one picture (the ReactOS logo?) and maybe a simple flash thingy (should be no problem, but I would keep it off the main page). All of this this to show off it's a fully functional web server.

Also, it should feature some text which explains why ReactOS is so cool (it even has a webserver working), and links to the official ReactOS website. Also you should say it only works with the SVN version, so if slashdotters try the same, they won't try it with 0.2.9. which isn't going to work.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

I should say that a P3 450 Mhz doesn't sound really fast to me. Maybe you can borrow a better pc to sustain a slashdot attack, and change it back to your P3 once the article is no longer on the frontpage?
IIRC reactos.org runs on a P3 too.
Jaix wrote:Also, it should feature some text which explains why ReactOS is so cool (it even has a webserver working), and links to the official ReactOS website. Also you should say it only works with the SVN version, so if slashdotters try the same, they won't try it with 0.2.9. which isn't going to work.
I'd wait for 0.3.0 which is going to be released in the near future.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Switchboy wrote:I'm working on a design...
If you don't like it please tell me and I'll try to fix it. Designing layout isn't something that I do on a daily basis so it might look a little unproffesional at some points.
Maybe a good design?
Not bad, but it looks a bit empty at the sides. And you should check your spelling ;).
Switchboy

Post by Switchboy »

Dr. Fred wrote:
Switchboy wrote:I'm working on a design...
Maybe a good design?
Not bad, but it looks a bit empty at the sides. And you should check your spelling ;).
I checked the spelling now, English is not my native tongue. :oops:
The empty spaces at the sides are because I designed it to look the same on any resolution form 800*600. So that everyone an view it without the layout being totally messed up because of the text moving everywhere. :wink: