Integrated driver locator feature

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

forart

Integrated driver locator feature

Post by forart »

I just posted the idea to Driverpacks.net forum: it would be great to have a "drivers update manager" (even better if platform indipendent/portable).

Here are some links that could help/ispire.

Open source (involvable):
DriverControl
Program to search and update the newest drivers for your system. Also you can edit the settings of your drivers. Need Microsoft .Net Framework! (At the moment DriverUpdater search at google for drivers because there is no useable database).
DriverForge
DriverForge is a program that will automatically install all drivers from a specified location. These drivers can be compressed or uncompressed.
DriverBackup!
Simple tool for backup hardware drivers' files. DriverBackup! preserves drivers of your hardware peripherals from injury of time,saving important files into a specified directory.So you can use these files to reinstall your perip. without CDs or Floppys.
Freeware:
Unknown Devices
Unknown Devices helps you find what those unknown devices in Device Manager really are.

By checking Device Manager for unknown devices and extracting information from it, this program attempts to figure out what the device is. You might not have to open your case or look up random numbers off of PCI cards to figure out what they are.

Program supports Win95, 98, 98se, Me, 2k, XP and 2003 but not NT. It also attempts to support future OSes.
Unknown Device Identifier
Unknown Device Identifier enables you to identify the yellow question mark labeled Unknown Devices in Device Manager. And reports you a detailed summary for the manufacturer name, OEM name, device type, device model and even the exact name of the unknown devices. With the collected information, you might contact your hardware manufacturer for support or search the Internet for the corresponding driver with a simple click. With this utility, you might immediately convert your unidentified unknown devices into identified known devices and find proper driver on the Internet and contact the hardware device manufacturer or vender. Known devices recognized by Microsoft Windows will also be analyzed independent of the operating system.

:wink:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Unknown Devices actually run in ROS quite well.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

My, you're soo sarcastic, Haos :-P
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Seriously. I ment this one:
Freeware:
Unknown Devices
forart

Post by forart »

EmuandCo wrote:My, you're soo sarcastic, Haos :-P
Yeah, he means this:
[ external image ]

BTW I'm asking for an open source alternative for it...
OverFlow @ DP.net wrote:we have an upgrade for that...

one is a script
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. ... 806#p17806

and one is a nice GUI
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. ... 805#p17805

It doesn't bother telling you what it is it just installs the driver...
Of course you could look in device manger... if it still mattered. ;)
»Forward Agency NPO
forart

Re: Integrated driver locator feature

Post by forart »

DriverForge v4.5.3 XP-shot:
[ external image ]

DriverBackup! v2.0.0 Vista-shot:
[ external image ]

EDIT: DrvComp 3ad @ MSFN.org
»Forward Agency NPO
DGMurdockIII

Re: Integrated driver locator feature

Post by DGMurdockIII »

this would be a good idea to have if let say if you dont have the disk or it could check for driver update and be able to get them kinda like windows dose but take it a step farther