ReactOS is no threat to Windows.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GoBusto

ReactOS is no threat to Windows.

Post by GoBusto »

Just came across this. Haven't seen it posted here before, so here you are: ReactOS is no threat to Windows.

The thing which struck me the most here was this:
There’s a second reason React is going nowhere. It’s server code. Servers need support, hands-on support, for updates, for changes, for bug fixes.
Perhaps Dana Blankenhorn has forgotten:
+ Windows 2000 = Windows 2000 Server.
+ Windows XP Pro x64 = Windows Server 2003.
+ Windows Vista = WIndows Server 2008.

EDIT: Also, I think that the devs would be wise to consider that the iPhone could be a major obstacle to ReactOS adoption, unless more "phone code" is added to the kernel. Think about it - adding more phone code would improve system "calls". And maybe you'd get free texts after 6pm.

EDIT: "Servers need support, hands-on support, for updates, for changes, for bug fixes." Luckily, desktop systems don't need support, updates, changes or bug fixes - otherwise there would need to be a new version of Microsoft Windows released every few years...
Last edited by GoBusto on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
FlyingIsFun1217

Re: ReactOS is no threat to Windows.

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Gotta love the people that speak uninformed.

FlyingIsFun1217
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I don't get how can "N/A" under "Long term plans" at ReactOS be worse than "$$$" under long term plans at any commercional company.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

This was obviously written by a doofus. Ignoring it...
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Wow, this makes me ashamed to subscribe to any print of ZDNet. Not only do you miss the point of the project, Dana, you get so many points wrong that I wonder if you even looked into the project, let alone USE A COMPUTER.

How can you consider ReactOS a server platform? Nowhere does it say that. In fact, the project states what it is: a windows NT clone capable of running windows binaries and drivers natively. The thing is, they are getting there by using server 03 as a base, since it's NT compatible. ReactOS is no more of a server OS than the 'iPhone' is a 'desktop OS'.

And your saying that it might be open to windows' 'bugs' again shows me (and I'm sure others) that you do not know how the open source community works. When blockers are found, they are almost always fixed, or at least given a GREAT deal of attention, by anyone working on the project, not just a small division of a company.

Please, I would ask that you discontinue posting things that make ZDNet and it's subscribers look like fools. And if you continue, have the decency to research what you are writing about, something critical to the field as I'm sure you learned at school (or did you go?).

FlyingIsFun1217
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Dont feed the troll... :|
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Haos wrote:Dont feed the troll... :|
Are you referring to me or to the article? Please note that I didn't intend this as a troll post.

If I wanted to troll the ReactOS forums, topics such as "I think Firefox should be in the default install" or "Why not just use Linux instead of cloning Winblows" are proven to be the quickest and easiest way to attain ban-ment.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

He's likely referring to the "article", though it's so poorly researched I really don't want to even use quotes on the word.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Z98 wrote:He's likely referring to the "article", though it's so poorly researched I really don't want to even use quotes on the word.
Perhaps the author in question does his research at Uncyclopedia.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Sorry to say the author of this http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2425 is right to a point.

Sponsors are required to get Reactos out of the hobby market. So ways to get them have to be looked at.

Reactos currently is no threat to windows market share and it will be a while before it will be ready. Web server omission on the roadmap is a minor oversight error. So drawing attention to that is handy. Reactos being more server code at moment is true. Roadmap also does not showing changing away from that. So assessment error could be predicted on both.

Support bit is a joke. Even good quick answer Linux support is not free. No matter what OS you use its not free if you want support fast.

Yet protecting long term outcome of a open source project is really hard.

1 full blow error is assessment(support) and 1 jumping to what outcome has to be. I cannot call that a badly written article. Making call on outcome before its time is a common article writers error. Many users make the mistake about Linux and Windows support being free too.

Current biggest threat to Windows is Linux. That also makes it the biggest threat to Reactos long term. If Linux wins over Microsoft. Reactos may still have a live in virtual machines like freedos has now.

GoBusto you have taken article way out of context.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I'd say current biggest threat to Windows is Mac.

Also, this "post" was seen a while ago by the devs. We all kinda laughed it off.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Z98 wrote:I'd say current biggest threat to Windows is Mac.
I'd agree with this if we're referring to the desktop market, but I'd go with oiaohm saying that Linux is the threat if we're talking about servers.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Linux threat is desktop. There are many key reasons why Mac will work for a while for Vista getting away people. Its going to run into trouble when it comes to business security integration.

Major issues of Linux will end. Closed source will be allowed on Linux lot simpler. This is a major change a ABI for Linux with installation system. ADS like solution for linux to be correct able to secure Linux clients many times stricter than what a ADS server can.

Yet even with these major issues in play Linux currently has growth on desktop. Mac growth has a cap also costs are going to be a limiting factor.

Some of the Linux desktop threat is sneaky coming integrated on all ASUS motherboards. Ie in time do you buy a OS or use one that came preinstalled on your motherboard. Yes the Linux OS on those motherboards in time will support third party apps on the hard drive. Apple is no way providing threats in this form. This is quite simply ending the Desktop market and just make it the embedded market.

Of course Reactos might be able to shape itself to be in the right place with the changing markets.
SdC

Post by SdC »

I think the biggest threat to Windows is Microsoft itself. Its insistence to put the wishes of content providers above the wishes of the customer. Customers no longer believe in Microsofts religion of releasing new versions dictated by the calendar instead of by the completion of new -and desirable- features.
Customers are proving to be sick of DRM, closed software and proprietary file formats, hefty hardware requirements etc. Microsoft's "cloud" (Live!/MSN) has never taken off, the MSN search doesn't find anything regardless of what search companies MS buys up.
The Wine 1.0 release, although a bit hyped up, is very significant for the industry.
Microsoft's OS department now utterly depends on 3rd party developers releasing .NET apps (but even these now have an escape hatch (Mono)), and hardware brands bundling Windows exclusively with systems (but we're seeing an increase of Linux options, both on servers and Low End systems, so its only a matter of time till it reaches mainstream PC systems).
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

oiaohm wrote:Linux threat is desktop. There are many key reasons why Mac will work for a while for Vista getting away people. Its going to run into trouble when it comes to business security integration.

Major issues of Linux will end. Closed source will be allowed on Linux lot simpler. This is a major change a ABI for Linux with installation system. ADS like solution for linux to be correct able to secure Linux clients many times stricter than what a ADS server can.

Yet even with these major issues in play Linux currently has growth on desktop. Mac growth has a cap also costs are going to be a limiting factor.

Some of the Linux desktop threat is sneaky coming integrated on all ASUS motherboards. Ie in time do you buy a OS or use one that came preinstalled on your motherboard. Yes the Linux OS on those motherboards in time will support third party apps on the hard drive. Apple is no way providing threats in this form. This is quite simply ending the Desktop market and just make it the embedded market.

Of course Reactos might be able to shape itself to be in the right place with the changing markets.
While I'm aware that arguing with oiaohm is akin to running directly into a brick wall (you know you shouldn't do it, it hurts a lot and the wall always wins), here's a few thoughts of my own.

For the home user, the main problems are:

+ Is it simple to use?
+ Does it run all of my old programs?
+ Is it free (as in beer)?

Ignoring MacOSX for now, ReactOS meets (or will meet) the needs of all three, whereas Windows only meets the first two. Linux meets the last one in many cases, distros such as Ubuntu generally meet the first requirement (but you'll still need to be prepared to delve into the command line now and again) and WINE generally meets the second one. On paper, this means that ROS and Linux should be on pretty even footing.

The major obstacle to any sort of change, as far as I can see, are potential end users who just do NOT want to change anything - to the point where they won't even use OpenOffice over pirated versions of MSOffice.
Last edited by GoBusto on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.