Request for testing on real hardware

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

aicommander
Developer

Request for testing on real hardware

Post by aicommander »

I've been doing some work recently on real hardware compatibility. S/G DMA is now implemented, so NDIS 5.1 (Windows XP) network drivers should work. ACPI has been fixed and enabled by default on systems that support it. USB keyboards and mice (on UHCI and EHCI) should also work now. I want 0.3.14 to reap all of these benefits, but it needs more widespread testing than we can feasibly do. This is where the ReactOS community can help. If everyone who has a machine that you can try ReactOS on would do that and report back here with results (and file bugs), we can make this next release support more real hardware than any one before. Please focus on testing USB keyboards/mice, network card drivers, and ACPI shutdown (via start menu and physical power button).

Please use the latest builds from: http://reactos.org/getbuilds

When you report back, please include: what features you tested, what revision number you tested, whether it was bootcd or livecd (bootcd is preferred), and whether you got the CMake (*-dbgwin.7z) or RBuild (*-dbg.7z) build.
gonzoMD

Re: Request for testing on real hardware

Post by gonzoMD »

Tested Revision: 54132-dbgwin

Test System:

PIII 800 MHz
512 MB SD Ram
Aopen AX 34 Mainboard
MS-Tech LN40 NIC
Microsoft PS/2 Keyboard
Logitech USB Mouse

Test Results:

USB Mouse didn't work in 2nd Stage Setup so I took an USB2PS/2 Adaptor then it worked.
Installed AC97 Audio Driver through Device Wizard caused a BSOD after Restart → Reinstall
After Reinstall installed NIC Driver through Device Wizard, which works well, tested through browsing in firefox 7.0.1.
want to try proper video drivers too, but don't know how to replace the standard VGA Driver, there is no „Update Driver“ Function as in Windows.
It seems „New directory“ in explorer doesn't work
Theming with Lautos works well, but theming with a Visual style called thallos from deviantart caused some problems
pushing the power button doesn't shutdown reactos but turns off the pc EDIT: when the system hangs, it doesn't turn off.

shutdown via start menu works without problems.
2nd try of installing the audio driver seemed to work at first, but at the 2nd restart I got a BSOD again.

this so far - if I should test something more just say what special to do, but I can't provide any debug logs
Last edited by gonzoMD on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Any specific wishes? I mean, OK, suppose I go and install it somewhere, WHAT do you want me to report? Just "how it was" or anything specific?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I guess what worked and what not ^^

Just paste the specs of the pc and what works now regarding USB and Network
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

gonzoMD wrote:Tested Revision: 54132-dbgwin

Test System:

PIII 800 MHz
512 MB SD Ram
Aopen AX 34 Mainboard
MS-Tech LN40 NIC
Microsoft PS/2 Keyboard
Logitech USB Mouse

Test Results:

USB Mouse didn't work in 2nd Stage Setup so I took an USB2PS/2 Adaptor then it worked.
Installed AC97 Audio Driver through Device Wizard caused a BSOD after Restart → Reinstall
After Reinstall installed NIC Driver through Device Wizard, which works well, tested through browsing in firefox 7.0.1.
want to try proper video drivers too, but don't know how to replace the standard VGA Driver, there is no „Update Driver“ Function as in Windows.
It seems „New directory“ in explorer doesn't work
Theming with Lautos works well, but theming with a Visual style called thallos from deviantart caused some problems
pushing the power button doesn't shutdown reactos but turns off the pc EDIT: when the system hangs, it doesn't turn off.

shutdown via start menu works without problems.
2nd try of installing the audio driver seemed to work at first, but at the 2nd restart I got a BSOD again.

this so far - if I should test something more just say what special to do, but I can't provide any debug logs
Could you check in device manager and tell me if you see "ACPI Fixed Feature Button", "Power Button", or "Sleep Button" under "System devices"? Thanks for the report on USB. I'm going to look into the problem on some real hardware when I get the chance. It's working on QEMU with emulated USB keyboard and mouse.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Can ROS be installed via USB or on sata yet? I have like 10 different machines here I can test on if I have a chance.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I just tried the -dbg build on a laptop, an Acer Aspire 3634 WLMi, specs here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/acer-as ... ml#manDesc

Most noteworthy observations:

The (PATA 80 GB) disk had a FreeBSD partition on it. Installation failed: "Setup could not create the install directory", eventhough I had said to format it with FAT and retried with "quick format". Only after nuking some of the disk (first 2 GB or so) under Linux (dd with /dev/zero) did ReactOS install.

USB results: Lenovo USB mouse was NOT recognised, and for all other hardware I got "The device could not be installed because the driver could not be found". - With pure XP, by the way, this laptop works. I got it for the dialogues regarding, in this order (always selecting "Install automatically"):

ACPI Embedded Controller
Programmable interrupt controller
Other ACPI device
Ethernet Controller
PCI-CARDBUS bridge
Ethernet Controller (AGAIN!)
Multimedia audio device
Communication device.

I tried to reboot in Debug and RosDbg, but there was never any change.

On the positive side, "shutdown" and "restart" worked (i.e. ACPI).

Next I am trying the -dbgwin build

EDIT: Having (hardware) difficulties with my CD-burner. Not sure whether I can test anything any more right now, cause I suddenly just cannot burn anything...
Last edited by Aeneas on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
vanyasmart

Post by vanyasmart »

I have been not able to installing it even in Virtualbox for two last months due to bug 5857 and bug 6183. And that's a reason why I not going to install it to real machine.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Notebook Toshiba Satellite A50-101, official r54141-dbg:
  • ACPI works
  • LAN driver installed properly, wired connection to the interned worked, good job!
  • USB Logitech mouse did not work, even on BIOS legacy settings it didn't
  • BSOD while installing sound driver via wizard, will try to reproduce on VBox to provide more details
Last edited by Black_Fox on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Black_Fox wrote:Notebook Toshiba Satellite A50-101, r54141:
  • BSOD while installing sound driver via wizard, will try to reproduce on VBox to provide more details
How do you expect to replicate a hardware/driver related crash in VBox?
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

That is a very good question :mrgreen: It contains setup.exe, so I though I could try it that way, but the setup itself fails first.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

There are some cases when usermode application can bring down the whole system, but i suspect that the BSOD would be caused by a driver. Running the driver setup on vbox might not even be possible, if the installer will check for the network card presence upfront.
DarkSnake-Kobra

Post by DarkSnake-Kobra »

I'd like to test ReactOS on a spare computer, but I don't have many cd's left(rather use them for something important). Read that there was a usb version in the works so is there anything available yet or other way to create a usb installer?

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 625#p72003
Xubuntu 11.10 x32 Running VirtualBox: |FreeBSD|FreeDOS|ReactOS|
[ external image ]
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

ReactOS has limited support for USB devices right now. I think there is only keyboard and mice support actually.
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

Livecd-54141-rel.7z

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
NVIDIA GeForce 8100 / nForce 720a
BIOSTAR Group GF8100 M2+ TE

USB doesn't work for me. Mice light is not flashing. Only after pressing any button.