Lotus Symphony is dead - OpenOffice is the replacement.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeneas

Lotus Symphony is dead - OpenOffice is the replacement.

Post by Aeneas »

I was just considering to test IBM's Lotus Symphony suite, and here I found a notice to the effect that in the future, IBM will support OpenOffice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Lotus_Symphony

- Well, that's not bad for us, actually. It means that we now really just have to target OpenOffice compatibility (though, of course, MS-Office compatibility would be very desirable, too).

And, of course, it means we have one thing LESS to test.
PurpleGurl

Re: Lotus Symphony is dead - OpenOffice is the replacement.

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, but if people already have it and want to continue using it...

Support is not required to use something.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

"Support" is a very vague term and can encompass many aspects of service provided for software. This can include user training, technical support, bug fixes, security fixes, custom analysis and modifications, plans for future versions, product direction, contracts, hot sales reps, and much more. For a big company, using a piece of software that lacks sufficient "support" is perceived as risky.

It doesn't really change the fact that ReactOS needs to be able to run it (assuming it does run on Windows XP/2003, or whichever platform ReactOS decides to target), because for every publicly available application there are 1000 that are not publicly available and may use APIs in the same weird ways.
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Agree with the others, but didn't LibreOffice replace OpenOffice anyway?
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

Zc456 wrote:Agree with the others, but didn't LibreOffice replace OpenOffice anyway?
They forked when it was owned by Oracle due to difference of opinion. Now that Oracle have handed over its development it will be interesting to see how the two different project continue or if they will eventually merge again.
GUN2k

Post by GUN2k »

Postby Aeneas » 18 Feb 2012 14:00
I was just considering to test IBM's Lotus Symphony suite, and here I found a notice to the effect that in the future, IBM will support OpenOffice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Lotus_Symphony

- Well, that's not bad for us, actually. It means that we now really just have to target OpenOffice compatibility (though, of course, MS-Office compatibility would be very desirable, too).

And, of course, it means we have one thing LESS to test.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Symphony 3 is based on an Open Office Source. Why should that mean, that are LESS to test?