Package Manager

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dr. Fred
Developer

Package Manager

Post by Dr. Fred »

Since network is running now, it would be cool to have a Packetmanager (like apt-get, but for windows users :wink:) for ReactOS.

Open source programs, running under ReactOs, from ROS-Apps and from 3rd Party, would be listed in a tree, sorted by the program's purpose. And you just need to mark one and to push the install button. You could also update your system just with one mouse click and easily uninstall programs, too.

What do you think about the idea ?
Last edited by Dr. Fred on Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Royce3
Developer

Re: Packet Manager

Post by Royce3 »

Dr. Fred wrote:Since network is running now, it would be cool to have a Packetmanager (like apt-get, but for windows users:wink:) for ReactOS.

Open source programs, running under ReactOs, from ROS-Apps and from 3rd Party, would be listed in a tree, sorted by the program's purpose. And you just need to mark one and to push the install button. You could also update your system just with one mouse click and easily uninstall programs, too.

What do you think about the idea ?
We do want something like that, and have been talking about it for a year and a half at least, but the OS has to mature quite a bit more before that can become a possibility.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Why is that ? Apis are there.

And it would be usefull at this point, too. People could test ReactOs and all the programs running on it without circumstances.
Simon

Post by Simon »

yeah a apt-get like for windows :D great idea :!:
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

Is a great idea, and with it is not necesary that people make lots of diferents distro for the Os with they utils, they only need to add the tools to the apps tree...
Maybe it can came with the next 0.3 version or with 0.4, when the OS have a full featured network.
Also if it is created will be necesary some people that have it updated and a good server to put on it, maybe some university like linux do.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

I guess we don't even need any additional servers. We can create a xml file on the cvs-server and the binaries have to be hosted by the application-developers.

The xml files would contain descriptions, ratings and other informations, as well as the location of another xml file with installation instructions.
solemnwarning

Post by solemnwarning »

Since ROS Will Support VB Apps Ive Started Work On A Pacage Manager, Open Source (DUH!) ;)
Royce3
Developer

Post by Royce3 »

solemnwarning wrote:Since ROS Will Support VB Apps Ive Started Work On A Pacage Manager, Open Source (DUH!) ;)
Unfortunately there's a difference between "supporting" something, and "distributing" something. Yes, VB apps will eventually run on ROS, but only after you obtain the runtimes. At the moment there is nobody working on creating open source versions of the VB runtimes, and it is not legal for us to include MS's. Furthermore, it is our policy at this time to keep reactos very easy to rebuild, and that means a minimal toolset. This means that while programs build with VB, Pascal, etc will run on ros, we are not interested in integrating anything other than C and C++ programs into the source tree.
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

I think is improtant that the package manager were integrated at the main tree, so it must be write on c or c++, because it will be one of the most important tools at the future ROS sistem for a common user, will be like the add an remove programs from MS but improved!
solemnwarning

Post by solemnwarning »

k, maybe just use my design?
avryhof

Add/Remove Programs

Post by avryhof »

Actually, when it gets done, I think it should be another tab in the Add/Remove programs applet in the control panel.

No reason to make a whole new program, when there is already a great place to put it.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

avryhof wrote:Actually, when it gets done, I think it should be another tab in the Add/Remove programs applet in the control panel.
There are it is no huge difference if you write a new program or put things into a existing one, but actually the program doesn't exist right now. And I also think that this two things do not fit together as good as it seams, because the programs from the packet manger are commented and presented in a tree, with some additional information. While the items in the “add/remove program” tag do only have a name. How would you present, this two together.

And there is another point, windows users maybe want to use this program, too. That is only possible if it's a spartate .exe
solemnwarning wrote:k, maybe just use my design?
I used to program in VB. Now I'm only using C/C++, but I still understand some VB code. So maybe I could port your App.
But that would mean, that you have to use native WinApi calls (you now with import) , instead of the vb controls where ever possible. (For example for networking, file access and so on)
If you could even use WinApi for window creation that would make your Application that easiest VB-App to port ever. But I guess that goes to far.

EDIT: Here is an example for what i mean with WinApi-Call:

Code: Select all

Private Declare Function CreateWindowEx Lib "user32.dll" Alias "CreateWindowExA" _
   (ByVal dwExStyle As Long, ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String, _
   ByVal dwStyle As Long, ByVal X As Long, ByVal Y As Long, ByVal nWidth As Long, ByVal nHeight As Long, _
   ByVal hWndParent As Long, ByVal hMenu As Long, ByVal hInstance As Long, lpParam As Any) As Long
Private Declare Function DestroyWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long) As Long 
EDIT2: Here is were I found it. There is also an example for using it. You can not only create Textfields with it but all kinds of windows.
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

Dr. Fred wrote:
avryhof wrote:Actually, when it gets done, I think it should be another tab in the Add/Remove programs applet in the control panel.
There are it is no huge difference if you write a new program or put things into a existing one, but actually the program doesn't exist right now. And I also think that this two things do not fit together as good as it seams, because the programs from the packet manger are commented and presented in a tree, with some additional information. While the items in the “add/remove program” tag do only have a name. How would you present, this two together.
Actually I agree with avryhof's opinion. Add/Remove programs would be good place to have the packet manager.

If it is a tab in the add/remove programs, you don't have to make the packet manager tab exactly like the Remove programs tab.
You could add comments and stuff there just below the names.
For example, in the windows add/remove programs on Win2003 Server, when you click on an app, it expands and shows additional info (like in this case, when the app was last used and i some cases support info.)
There are many possibilities.

But yes, you're right, the add/remove program does not exist at the moment. But I would love to see a packet manager in add/remove in the future.
avryhof

How about a linkable DLL

Post by avryhof »

Well, there is also the possibility of making it a linkable object, similar to the IE runtime.

That way it could be inserted into the Add/Remove Programs Dialog, or a standalone program.

That would also make it easier for third-party window managers. It would be alot like the Windows Management Snap-ins that tend to pop up in a few places.

As for how it's setup, check out the installer for Autopatcher XP. It's a treeview with components listed under each major item, and each item you click on has a description that shows below the treeview.

Ever Use Synaptic? It's not much different, just presented in a non-graphical list rather than a treeview.

BTW: In Windows 2000 and XP the items in Add/Remove Expand when you click on them.
daniele_dll

Post by daniele_dll »

i think that something like emerge is more useful because you can install binaries and sources without problems :) something like gentoo portage tree will give the possibility to set up softwares using sources or binaries

Infact many times precompiled binaries have a bunch of unuseful things that slow down too much :\

but giving the possibility to build applications will be more useful. And experieced users, if they want, can compile, itself, non bundled with reactos portage applications :)