Theme manager

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

forart

Theme manager

Post by forart »

Since i'm trying to involve theme artists, ROS have a great limit: no theme manager.

Wanna understand if anyone is interested.

note: i found the Illumination that could help... what do you think ?

***update***
ShellWM (thanks Tihiy@msfn.org for the suggestion) and CustomEyes too...

***update 2***
Modspots guys _MUST_ be involved !
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Thcrw8383

Re: Theme manager

Post by Thcrw8383 »

forart wrote:Since i'm trying to involve theme artists, ROS have a great limit: no theme manager.

Wanna understand if anyone is interested.

note: i found the Illumination that could help... what do you think ?

***update***
ShellWM (thanks Tihiy@msfn.org for the suggestion) and CustomEyes too...

***update 2***
Modspots guys _MUST_ be involved !
I think its a good idea,but ReactOS needs to get more stable.Maybe when we get to version 4.0,but it would be nice to have it implemented
Alkali

Post by Alkali »

CustomEyes seems to be shareware and not open gpl. Illumination sounds like it would require a complete rewrite of the current explore, and Modspots looks like it's just add ons for other open source shell projects.

Shellwm looks like the best option by far, and the themes aren't half bad (http://www.customize.org/list/shellwm). If this project could be incorporated into reactos that would be great (sadly it probably won't happen though). At any rate, we'll get theming eventually.
forart

Post by forart »

Alkali wrote:CustomEyes seems to be shareware and not open gpl.
CustomEyes site wrote:- 03/05/01 - CustomEyes sources available here !
...anyway license is not specified (ask the author: dabder_at_hotmail_dot_com) :?

Alkali wrote:Illumination sounds like it would require a complete rewrite of the current explore
SF page wrote:Illumination - a feature-rich, plattform-independent C++ GUI library. Key features: themability, XML surface description support, nifty layouting engine, font-sensitiviness, ...
About Illumination wrote:Illumination is a collection of classes written in the programming language C++. The classes are designed to let application developer easily build graphical user interfaces. Illumination is distributed under the GNU license.
Dunno if is so mutch re-work, but if the undersigned phrase is true it wouldn't be so hard and (AFAIK) is better to have an indipendent architecture for GUI(s)...
Alkali wrote:and Modspots looks like it's just add ons for other open source shell projects.
Well, Modspot it’s just a ‘small hub of low profile customization sites’.
They pratice the "art" of modification referring to desktop customization on the Windows platform. Which can be done as is, for fun and because you want things your way. No need to be charged, for ads, the information is freely available.
...and seems that likes open souce (check out the "Spots / Shells" section).

As i sayd i think those peoples should be involved 'cause they are specialized in thoose thinks of tweakings on the windows polatform, so their knowledge could help the GUI grow.

Alkali wrote:Shellwm looks like the best option by far, and the themes aren't half bad (http://www.customize.org/list/shellwm). If this project could be incorporated into reactos that would be great (sadly it probably won't happen though). At any rate, we'll get theming eventually.
Note:
deviantART News wrote:ShellWM is based on the sourcecode of CustomEyes v0.30 by Didier Abderrahmane.
:roll:

Anyway, this is the same opinion of Tihiy, the Windows 98 Revolutions Pack author that claimed a cool release for RPLite7.
The development of ShellWM seems stopped at the moment (the latest change is 23 months, 3 weeks ago).
Definitely yes, we can keep in touch with the development team (I already mailed the project head Alessandro Limonta - [ external image ]) to ask their help. 8)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.