New ReactOS website

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

jan.coder

New ReactOS website

Post by jan.coder »

Hi, since _nobody_ from the many recipients for which I sent my email to answered, I'm posting it here and hope somebody answers.

the email
---

Hello,

my name is Jan Svoboda and I'm from Czech Republic. I'm a PHP (PHP, HTML, CSS), Java and VB .NET programmer. I came across the ReactOS project and I liked it a lot, so I decided to help to expand the project.

Recently I bought the domain name reactos.cz with the purpose of creating a CZROSUG (Czech ReactOS User Group), the main ReactOS forum in Czech language, a place to organize meetings about ReactOS in Czech Republic. The web would also contain news about ReactOS and have a task to find people who would translate ReactOS.

I would like to ask for a permission to use the ReactOS logo, which would be changed to contain the ".cz" suffix. The web page design would be of course different, I would just like to use the same color scheme and the same page header with the modified logo as mentioned above.

I'm not sure about the email addresses I'm sending this email to, so please, if you know about somebody who should know about this email, forward it.

Also, I would like use this opportunity to say thanks to the ReactOS team, for the great work they are doing.

Jan Svoboda
---
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

I am pretty sure that you are allowed to use that reactos logo or the website style (maybe better ask that on IRC).
I don't know though if it will be usefull to create such a project:
The czech forum at this site is nearly empty, so I don't know if the site would become successfull enough so that your work is right there (I don't know how many people from the Czech Republic are there, so that might be a wrong thought).

btw, sry for grammar / spelling mistakes, I myself am German.
my blog: phoenix.de.am
jan.coder

czech ReactOS website

Post by jan.coder »

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure that it could help in some way. It would be a website for the Czech ReactOS community. We'll try to translate all important things into Czech language, organize meetings about ReactOS an try to make it more popular. We'll also try to find more programmers and translators.

Of course I know there is a Czech forum and a main site, but I still think, that this site would help. For example, it would have specific things such a as surveys and would be responsible for organizing meeting, where translation and contribution to the ReactOS project would be discussed.

This would be a more close place about the project with a specific design and needs for the Czech community which would encourage the interest about this great project.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Not that i`m discuraging you guys, but shouldn`t you start with translating Czech version of reactos.org and wiki contents?

EDIT: As i noticed, there is no Czech version of Reactos.org website. I think you should start with it. Visit #reactos-web irc channel, and ask frik85 to set you up. It will be more fruitfull than creating a new website from scratch.
jan.coder

Post by jan.coder »

You've got a point there, but I still think there is a need for such web. Of course we will help with the necessary translations. Also one of the goals of the web is to find people to do so.

Currently I'm searching for information about how to translate. And I'll try to help with it. Personally I'll rather help with the OS translations because there are particular things which need certain caution.

Since I have some skills programming in PHP I could help with the online translation tool for the OS.

Again about the web site, I think it could at least promote this project, which assures me that the effort wouldn't be useless.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

As i said, I`m not discouraging you guys, but sincerely, i still think that you can get more Czech people by creating a Czech localization of reactos.org, than your own website. Still, it`s all up to you.

EDIT: You should ask frit85 about using reactos.org graphics but if you provide linkback and credits, i dont think there will be any trouble. Better ask though.
jan.coder

Post by jan.coder »

We'll put the web site online and ask visitor for comments about it to see if it is useful.

Ok, I'll send him a PM.
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

Haos wrote:Not that i`m discuraging you guys, but shouldn`t you start with translating Czech version of reactos.org and wiki contents?

EDIT: As i noticed, there is no Czech version of Reactos.org website. I think you should start with it. Visit #reactos-web irc channel, and ask frik85 to set you up. It will be more fruitfull than creating a new website from scratch.
i've already started translating some web stuff into czech but i'll have to pass some exams first so i didn't have enough time recently and i've also waited for the new roscms frik is working on

to jan.coder:
maybe those who say that there are not enough czech users are right. look at the czech forum i'm the only one posting there :/ ... but it's nice to have reactos.cz maybe it should just point to czech translation of official page and when time comes and reactos attracts more publicity you can switch back to your original idea.
jan.coder

Post by jan.coder »

Hi, and thanks. You are right.

When ReactOS becomes more popular, there'll definitely be a need for such web site.

Maybe it wouldn't be so popular right now, but later I have to be. We want to and we will support ReactOS. We want to find both translators and programmers for the project. We want to organize meeting and talk about the project. Encourage people an so..

Everyone who says there's a site or part of the site dedicated to us are right, but a site a part is more we and personally I require specific things, which can't appear here. This is a universal web site, which is correct, but I can't see a reason why not to support such idea. I'm Czech, I'll try to make a Czech site and not only promote the project but also encourage people to help on it.

As the FAQ explains the idea of ReactOS, I'll say that it's mine idea to make this site, knowing the situation of Czech webs and the Czech people.

Once again, any ideas are welcome, so please, if you have any idea or comment about this site, please tell us about it.
jan.coder

Post by jan.coder »

sorry, I forgot to mention the email, it is jan_AT_A_HOST_mluv_DOT_cz

hope you know how to write the email, if not, you can PM me here at the official ReactOS forum, I'm here. :)