ReactOS NotePad/Editor

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

theshu2

ReactOS NotePad/Editor

Post by theshu2 »

Hello everyone!

I would suggest to replace the current texteditor in ROS with AkelPad http://akelpad.sf.net/
Its an open source texteditor. Like MetaPad or MS Notepad, but faster, lightweight and with full unicode support!
Its written in C and runs in ROS.
I also have talked to the developer Aleksander Shengalts.
He would be happy to support ROS.
This editor should be implemented in ROS to replace the current one.
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

i thought in Notepad++
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hi. Problem is, that his code absolutely does not like MinGW GCC 4.12 which is the official supported Compiler: http://www.reactos.org/paste/index.php/383/
Of course we could fix it, but synching to newer versions would be a real pain, because it would mean to fix it again and again. We want to support MSVC in the future, but we will not abandon GCC aswell to support building under linux etc, so it needs to support both. If he gets it compatible to both Compilers, GCC and MSVC (which is his way to build it), I could add it to rosapps. Looks nice. Especially the Plugins Support.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Its written in C
Yes, but in C++, not C. We tend to avoid C++ apps from our codebase, due to numerous compiling issues.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Sorry to say Haos most of it is C. All the stuff i could find that was C++ was extern "C" markers.

Many problems with source code. Nested if when not needed. Use of if stack when a switch function would be simpler. Incorrect filename tails. And the list goes on.

After a major code clean up could be usable. On top of that don't built with gcc.
theshu2

Post by theshu2 »

Ok, I will talk to him. Maybe he can use MinGW GCC 4.12 as default compiler.

I think Notepad++ is to blown up and not as lightweight and fast as NotePad or AkelPad. NotePad++ is not similar enough to the default NotePad Editor.
AkelPad is really the fastest Editor I've ever seen, and awesome Plugins are available too....

Have a nice day!
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

theshu2: He does not need to use it as Default one, only support it.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
theshu2

Post by theshu2 »

Ah ok!
Thank you for the hint, I'm shure he has no problem with supporting MinGW GCC 4.12...
LRN

Post by LRN »

He probably will have. It is not trivial thing - to use Visual Studio to compile with gcc.exe, not cl.exe (afaik, impossible).
Typical solution is to have dsp/dsw//vcproj/sln for building in MSVC and a separate bunch of makefiles (with or without configure script) for gcc.exe. Which is trivial, but not for typical VS developer.
theshu2

Post by theshu2 »

I talked to Aleksander (The AkelPad developer)
He says that he will work on it :)
I will reply in this topic when his work is finished and also send a message to EmuandCo if this is ok!?
Great that Aleksander takes his time to make it compatible!
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Yeah, tell me when it works :-) I think it is worth an integration to rosapps.

jusid

Post by jusid »

I like this editor. It is true notepad replacement. All extra features are made as plugins and main core application is small, fast and contains basic (but rich enough) set of features.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

what does this have to do with reactos?

If people like it, then install it. This should not be in our code base, it's nothing to do with us.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Weel. With the same reason like the one which allows us to have several wordpads and appwiz etcetc in the tree. Lets the devs decide whats better.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

we shouldn't have 2 wordpads, if we have one should be deleted.
as for appwiz, I assume the new one is being developed to replace the old one. Both are native to reactos though.
What else is there?

This notepad thing is a completley seperate project being developed outside of ros. We already have a feature complete notepad, we don't need another.