ReactOS NotePad/Editor

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Yeah, i like our notepad, too. But why should it stay 100% like the windows one? This nwould offer more features. But anyway. Before I commit it, I would ask the other devs anyway.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
theshu2

BUT

Post by theshu2 »

Of course the current NotePad is good...
But please take a deeper look at AkelPad! It has so many advantages over the current one!
Its also the lightest and fastest Editor I've ever seen.

So my suggestion was to REPLACE the old editor, --> only 1 editor needed, as you said.

I think our aim is not to clone windows-components. We can use better programs, in this case AkelPad.

And the size of AkelPad is so small, it will not hurt to add it to ROSApps.

All in all I think AkelPad is better than the current editor. I hope you will get the same opinion like me. Just give AkelPad a try, it would be so nice.

Regards, theshu
theshu2

Post by theshu2 »

A test version has been built:
http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/files/AkelPad.zip

You can compile it under MinGW but only with "libuuid.a" library from w32api-3.6.tar.gz. No newer versions...

You can read the entire thread at:
http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/forum/vi ... .php?t=356

Regards, theshu
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I successfully built AkelPad with RosBE. I removed -Werror from makefile to keep building if just some simple warnings showup. Building worked then.

EDIT: I used the new 3.50 Source. Now it builds well without anything hacked.

And can you ask him, why he only builds in one resource file all the time? I made a rsrc.rc file now which just includes all languages and let it link in this one now. kyrgyz.rc does not work but the rest does. Now the app selects the language from the Operating System, like all our apps do, too.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Instructor

Post by Instructor »

Hi
And can you ask him, why he only builds in one resource file all the time?
To support a lot of languages, thus remaining small, there is a system of language modules. The user can install and choose any language at his own discretion.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Ah, alright. I almost thought so. I hope you dont mind when I add all at once, if I get it allowed to include it to ROS-Apps. All our apps are built this way. They always inlude all languages and setting the language to another and resetting would translate the whole OS. This might be modfied later due to size matters, but right now its ok this way.

cppm

Post by cppm »

This app should definitely be in any RoS app repositories, even if it doesn't make it as the 'official' editor.

What would be nice would be something that can go as small as classic notepad (for 'legacy' machines) but can be easily beefed up with plugins. From the screenshots this appears to go nearly as lean as classic notepad, but not quite.
theshu2

Post by theshu2 »

@cppm
The fascinating thing with AkelPad is that it is absolutely designed for Legacy machines!
Have you run it without plugins? You can even open a 500MB Logfile on a P4 within a few seconds! The replace function is also superfast. And the memory requirements are very low....
I think smaller and faster than akelpad is nearly impossible.
It is not blown up like NotePad++ or as slow as MetaPad and some linux editors...
Great you like it :-)
Hopefully the devs will give a statement soon.
Bye, theshu
reakt100

Post by reakt100 »

AkelPad is released under BSD, couldn't it cause some license mess?
Anyway, adding it to DOWNLOAD! could not be a bad idea.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Yes, an even better Idea than including the source IMO.

theshu2

Post by theshu2 »

Adding it to "Download" is a good idea.
Even if I think its better than the current "ROS-Notepad", this is a good alternative if nobody want to replace it with AkelPad.
@EmuandCo Did you ask the other developers? What did they say?
Wish you a nice day, theshu.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Lets replace notepad with this one!
SdC

Post by SdC »

cmoibenlepro wrote:Lets replace notepad with this one!
Let's not!
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hey hey, make a vote and we can talk about it, but it cat promise anything

Apal

Post by Apal »

theshu2 wrote:Adding it to "Download" is a good idea.
Even if I think its better than the current "ROS-Notepad", this is a good alternative if nobody want to replace it with AkelPad.
@EmuandCo Did you ask the other developers? What did they say?
Wish you a nice day, theshu.
I agree. For the time being it's better to add it to download app and have the classic notepad as is.
Let's place it in download in version 0.3.5,test it and we can talk about it after the next release :)