[ros-dev] Loading ReactOS from Floopy

Lucio Diaz reactos_translate at yahoo.es
Wed Nov 17 23:40:47 CET 2004

I am working in a Howto for installing ReactOS, so i
tried the diferent ways for instalating it, but in
recent builds there was no option to install the
Freeloader in a diskete (XP machine here) in the Real
Hardware instalation.

I tried downloading the binaries and copying them to
C:\ReactOS  , download the Freeloader image and
RAWwrite it in a diskete, but i could not get the
configuration screen (it worked for me, but maybe not
for others without configuration options)

Is there any way i could install the Freeloader image
and still have a "normal" configuration phase of
ReactOS.? This will help convince people to install
reactOS, not having to touch the Boot sector for a
ReactOS insatllation regardless the OS you have
installed would be great. I imagine something like
this:
--------------------------------------
1) Download the ReactOS binaries (8 Megs) from
sourceforge

2) Use Winzip to extract them to C:\ that way a Folder
called C:\ReactOS will be created with all the reactos
files(It must be a FAT32 partition).

3) Download the Program Rawwrite for windows and
extract it to any folder you wish.

4) Download the Freeloader Floopy Disk image and
extract it to any folder you wish.

5) Insert a new formated Floopy Disk and Execute
Rawwrite:

6) Select the image file from the folder you extracted
the Freeloader:

7) Press write, and wait till the program ends writing
the image to the Floopy.

8) Restart the computer booting from the Floopy Disk:

This is the option i would like as user. Copy the
program to a folder, and the use a Diskete to load it.
Usefull both in 95/98/NT/XP and Linux, with minimal
risks for people who fears burning their HD.

But the question, Can this be done?. I have downloaded
the source code but i am lost. Can someone help me
with this?

Thanks in advance,
Lucio Diaz.