[ros-dev] A call for help getting putty working

art yerkes ayerkes at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 19 15:52:56 CET 2004

Even if another version works it'd be nice to work with it unmodified and
as compiled by the author.

1) My thoughts are twofold; putty works on wine and windows, and so a
compatible system such as reactos ought to be able to the same.  I think
having CreateDialog work right is not so much to ask.

2) We get no credibility having to port apps to run on reactos.  Sometimes
I do patch an app so i can get past a known problem by my goal is always
ultimately to run the app unpatched.  My guess is that an eventual end
user will expect the author's version to work.

Honestly I don't know if putty's author Simon Tatham has done something
wrong with the win32 api or we have, and I'm not interested in hunting
for a specific version that works.  What I am interested in is fixing
bugs in reactos that may affect some other application.  I have a feeling
that other apps may appear to fail silently but actually just be waiting
for some invisible hand to show their dialogs.  Putty should now be a
reasonable target as we theoretically implement everything it needs.

Sorry if this doesn't fit with our current development arc.  I'm getting
more resistance than I anticipated.
--
Here's a simple experiment. Stand on a train track between two locomotives
which are pushing on you with equal force in opposite directions. You will