[ros-dev] ELF mapping support for ntoskrnl, for anybody who is interested (untested)

KJK::Hyperion noog at libero.it
Sat Nov 27 15:18:30 CET 2004

At 11.46 27/11/2004, you wrote:
>>I doubt we'll need this. I'll try to add support for querying the
>>interpreter name, but I don't think we really need this for Win32. POSIX
>>maybe (hence a way to query an ELF image section for the interpreter
>>name), but for Win32 I think we're stretching it enough at supporting ELF
>>at all. Then again I don't really know what runtime linkers are for
>Hi, is the ELF "interpreter name" what in PE images is the subsystem field?

nope, various fields in the executable's header are analyzed heuristically
to determine the OS it was compiled for. There is an "ABI" field in the ELF
header for this, IIRC, but it's not used consistently, hence the
heuristics. You can read more about this in a series of technical articles
about NetBSD on the O'Reilly network:

<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/08/08/irix.html?page=2> (last section)
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/10/linux_bsd.html?page=4>