[ros-dev] ReactOS Setup Wizard Scroll Bar for Timezone.

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sat Nov 27 15:16:17 CET 2004

Adam Babcock wrote:

> K McI wrote:

>> Mike Swanson wrote:
>> | I don't mind the Windows default... I am in the Pacific Time Zone
>> (Seattle) :P
>>
>> But say you're in Germany. If you've previously told ROS that you speak
>> German, wouldn't it make sense to default to whatever timezone Germany
>> is in? (Windows may already do this, I don't know)
>>

> While it makes sense, windows does not already do this.

I don't think that's a valid assumption. Many of us choose French as
default language, but we wouldn't want to be placed in the France
timezone. Of course, Windows does ask for "Location", and it should at
least use that for a timezone guess, but the language selection
shouldn't be a factory, imo. Unless you want to get into bloated code
such as if (Location == CANADA && Language == FR) Timezone = Quebec.

Then again, choosing Seattle isn't better either. I would just start
with GMT as default. Makes everyone happy.