[ros-dev] GMT

Adam Babcock adam at nemesys.ca
Sun Nov 28 11:44:20 CET 2004

K McI wrote:
> Here, I have the perfect idea, that I got @ 4A this morning in bed.
> Instead of GMT 0 or GMI-8 or anything, let's default it to something
> like "Please select your timezone...", which then disappears when
> someone selects the drop down menu. This way we don't show preference to
> any one zone, prevent ppl from just hitting "Next >" and getting the
> wrong zone, and can wait on the more elaborate country/language2zone
> attempt code.
>
> Ideas? RFC.
>
> ~        -uniQ
>
> PS. Should we also add a section on there for setting up NTP, like, just
> a "ReactOS can automatically determine the correct time by querying an
> NTP server, select "Settings..." to set this up or change the defaults"
> under the "Time" part of "Date and Time" ?

That seems like the perfect solution actually, now if only we could get
Redmond to do the same... IMHO NTP should be setup after the initial ROS
is installed, this way they can test their settings without having to
load all the network drivers during installation. If I understand what
you are saying here you want to use the NTP query to determine the
timezone? The problem with this is that I believe that if no timezone is
given to the NTP server it guesses based on IP, which is not always
accurate. I say stick with the "Please select your timezone..." and then
have the user setup NTP if they so choose after ROS is installed.