[ros-dev] GMT

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sun Nov 28 12:29:42 CET 2004

Adam Babcock wrote:

> That seems like the perfect solution actually, now if only we could
> get Redmond to do the same... IMHO NTP should be setup after the
> initial ROS is installed, this way they can test their settings
> without having to load all the network drivers during installation. If
> I understand what you are saying here you want to use the NTP query to
> determine the timezone? The problem with this is that I believe that
> if no timezone is given to the NTP server it guesses based on IP,
> which is not always accurate. I say stick with the "Please select your
> timezone..." and then have the user setup NTP if they so choose after
> ROS is installed.

Windows does automatically set up NTP after installation already. For
the timezone argument, I just thought about the fact that Windows users
have been living with the Redmond default for ages. I even have a reflex
to press the up arrow the exact number of times it takes me to get to
EST, I don't even look at the combo box anymore.