[ros-dev] HAL reorganisation

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 30 17:35:14 CET 2004

Ge van Geldorp wrote:

> I'm aware that we'll need a
>NTKRNLMP.EXE on the boot CD too (I will try very very hard not to need a
>different kernel for Xbox) for this "single boot CD" idea to work, but
>that's a different problem and I'd like to tackle that later.

You will most probably need a different kernel, because as hard as MS
tried, the kernel is still a bit architectural dependent.
We might be able to make a single kernel handle both the xbox and a
normal pc, but IMO that would require special flags and complex code
that is if..then instead of a compile-time ifdef, and it would make our
code more bloated. I think having a separate kernel  binary is fine.