[ros-dev] Must Read!!!! Msi.dll and Bison Alert!!!!

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 30 20:45:50 CET 2004

James Tabor wrote:

> Well, tell that to wine. 8^)
>
> This was a hard call to do. Knowing this team.
>
> Wine is moving away from porting as I can see it. I've written about how
> wine has cross linked third and forth level dlls (apps level). We can not
> port w/o having to include some of their weird programming stuff (put
> nicely).
> I've tried wines windows builds and w/o some of their dlls you can not
> use
> them at all. You have to bypass ROS Second level dlls with wines. When
> you
> try it, it doesn't work.
>

> So, it would not hurt to use bison with their code.
>

> Snd Point,
> We started this when,,,, 1999 and now soon to be 2005. I'm to old to
> wait for
> wine to change, so far their not trying very hard.
> James

All great points but I must ask, why should be bend our "rules" in order
to be able to mingle cleanly with WINE, and why shouldn't they be the
ones that should also try to be more flexible. From what you're saying
(I have no personal experience to base this upon), it seems that they
aren't trying very hard to make sure everything stays easily portable. I
agree we need wine for the user dlls, but they also need our fixes to be
easily implementable in their tree.

I think the best solution is for everyone to work together, and to try
to respect our project's guidelines. If they really need to do stuff
their own way, we really need to do stuff our own way too. Maybe some
sort of mega conversion tool could be built or something of the sort. I
think WINE has gotten really far, but because they are such an old
project, they are carrying a lot of cruft that needs to cleaned out
(just like any other project). It would be unsensical to have to import
such cruft (I'm not referring to Bison, but those x-level DLL messes).

I don't see why the .C code would force everyone to use linux? Why would
mingw32 not want to build it? Anyways, I restate, I'm against Bison in
the build system (or any other similar tool) as much as I am for having
core apps written in script languages. Considering how most of us feel
about C++ code (imo, shouldn't be used unless it's a necessity), I think
that starting to import Bison stuff is going to annoy a lot of people,
judging from the reaction on the ML. I'm sure we'll find a way to
cooperate, even it means making msi porting a bit harder.