[ros-dev] IP Policy

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 21:16:18 CET 2005

Hi,

On 12/1/05, Ge van Geldorp <gvg at reactos.org> wrote:
> I don't have a problem with reverse engineering per se, but what we fail to
> do at the moment is use the information obtained from that in a clean room
> manner. I.e. at the moment the same person that looks at the object code
> also provides the ReactOS implementation. I think that's dangerous, I
> believe most (court) cases where reverse engineering was found acceptable
> were clean room cases. So I'd like to amend the IP policy with something
> like:
>
> If there is no other option than to reverse engineer/disassemble object
> code, the person who reverse engineered the code shall put his findings in a
> document describing the interface. That person can not implement the
> corresponding code in ReactOS, implementation shall be done by a different
> person (or group of persons), working only from the interface description.
>
> We can then keep the document in svn so we can present an audit trail if
> asked to produce one.

Ok can we start a vote on this? We also need to hold a vote for
accepting the IP policy so I still think we should have something like

[] - Accept the IP Policy as it stands
[] - Accept the IP Policy with Amendment
[] - Discuss IP Policy further

If no choice gets more than 50% of a vote then we should remove option
that got the lowest number of votes.

--
Steven Edwards - ReactOS and Wine developer