[ros-dev] My attitude

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.org
Sun Dec 4 13:48:40 CET 2005

Are you sure a public mailing list is the right place for this? Don't hide
behind Steven on this, he didn't put a gun to your head to force you to make
the post, you decided for yourself. Since the cat seems to be out of the bag
anyway:

Another +1 on the arrogance. I got so tired of it I decided to drop out of
the IRC channel. It won't make me leave the project though, the world
doesn't revolve around Alex.

What worries me far more is your tendency to immediately turn to IDA to find
out how something is implemented in Windows. A recent example, when the
question came up how to prevent umpnpmgr from popping up dialogs during
second stage setup, you told us that IDA revealed that Windows uses such and
such registry key for that. Why would we need to implement this identical to
Windows? Why not create a independent implementation (which could happen to
be the same, only arrived at independently)?
When asked about stuff like this, your reply is that reverse engineering is
legal. I don't dispute it is, when done properly. I'm just not sure that the
way you're doing it, reverse engineering Windows and then writing ReactOS
code, is proper. I have no solid evidence either way on whether it's legal
or not legal and I'd rather err on the side of caution. In short, I do think
your contributions potentially present a major threat to the project.

GvG