[ros-dev] gcc/msvc int64 suffix/LARGE_INTEGER portability macros

Mike Nordell tamlin at algonet.se
Wed Feb 2 06:56:13 CET 2005

Gunnar Dalsnes wrote:

> Suggested gcc/msvc portability macros:
>
> #if defined(_MSC_VER)
>
>    #define MK_INT64(a) (a)
>    #define MK_UINT64(a) (a)

Why not the explicit suffix (i.e. "(a##i64)" and "(a##ui64)")? Especially
the latter is required to be able to create specifically an unsigned 64-bit
integer.

>    __inline LARGE_INTEGER MK_LARGE_INTEGER(__int64 i)

If anything, "static __inline", but there are more problems with this as
I'll explain below.

>    {
>       LARGE_INTEGER li;
>       li.QuadPart = i;
>       return li;
>    }
>
>    #define LARGE_INTEGER_NULL MK_LARGE_INTEGER(0)

and this is the problem. It does not evaluate to a LARGE_INTEGER
intitialized to the value zero at compile-time. To verify, just add

  static const LARGE_INTEGER zero = MK_LARGE_INTEGER(0);

at file scope, and see the C compiler complain "initializer is not a
constant".

>From the looks of it, none of these problems are present in the GNUC path.

Another potential source of confusion could be the use of "NULL", which in
the context of both C and C++ is carved in stone to mean a null-pointer
value. What about the character 0 (zero)?

The initialization of a LARGE_INTEGER is indeed a problem, since it's an
aggregate type, and I don't see a clean and portable solution to that
problem. For the simple case of zero-initializing an external or static
LARGE_INTEGER one can use something like

  LARGE_INTEGER Li0 = { 0 };

but I have seen it suggested this might not be intended to work for
variables with automatic storage duration.

--
/Mike