[ros-dev] Release 0.2.6

Karim Liman-Tinguiri kltinguiri at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 12:33:32 CET 2005

Greetings everyone,

I totally agree with Murphy and I believe we should launch another
0.2.x release before the next 0.3 release. I think before we can
launch a 0.3 release, we need to have a solid support for Win32
drivers: networking doesn't limit to LAN-Ethernet, but it also
includes PPP and modem connection (analogic and broadband).

With the growing amounts of winmodems, Win32 driver support must
definitely be implemented before claiming "networking support": this
is one of the weaker points of Linux: driver compatibility (though
lots of efforts are being made by manufacturers and hackers), many
drivers are still only available on the windows platform. It'd be much
cheaper, programming-effort wise, to natively support windows driver
than try to port them to ReactOS, (I'm not even mentionning the case
of closed-source drivers and undocumented hardware).

As is stated in the status page of the library "Driver Support At the
moment, work to support 3rd party drivers (Microsoft Windows
compatible) is restricted. The focus is more on only basic drivers
that are written in conjunction with the various kernel facilities." ;
there's not much 3rd party Microsft Driver support. It'd definitely
have to be implemented before 0.3 release.