[ros-dev] packet manager

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sat Jan 1 12:19:14 CET 2005

Maarten Bosma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Me and some guys on the forum were thinking, about coding a packet
> manager for ROS.

I guess you mean a Package Manager :)

> (http://reactos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164) But we would need some
> kind of script language. We were also thinking about using XML instead
> of a real lang., but a real one like python would offer much more
> flexibility.

Why do you "need" a scripting language? It can be done in C, and the
meta-data can be stored in XML and read with XML libs, some of which are
open-source. An XML lib is something we will probably integrate into the
tree at one point anyways.

> So my question is if you think about the packet manager idea

I like it, I think it should be a new tab in Add/Remove programs.

> and if you would agree to a lib like python to the tree.

I think it's pretty much out of the question to have phyton code in the
tree, or anything else but C/C++ (even C++ is barely tolerated by some
devs).