[ros-dev] Re:[ros-svn] [ion] 12748: Fix incorrect LPC Object export...we export pointers not the object itself! Also remove more TIME stuf

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Mon Jan 3 13:43:48 CET 2005

Emanuele Aliberti wrote:

> Alex Ionescu wrote:
>
>> Apoligies accepted.
>>
> This, once again, suggests to add detailed comments to code changes
> when committing, or fixing a commit one assumes is wrong.

I assumed it was clear to anyone checking that *all* the other exported
objects were *POINTERS*. It also makes sense that NT would export a
pointer, not the actual structure. Since when does an app export a whole
object?

> I, first of all, had to say I had changed the type of
> LpcPortObjectType because of the w32api header and the fact that DATA
> symbols are pointers.

DATA  symbols are pointers, and that's exactly what I've done. In the
old code, the LpcPortObjectType was exported as a whole type instead.

> When I saw the excerpts from the DDK headers posted by Filip, I
> realized I was fooled by a wrong definition. I should have checked
> that first! I assume these two definitions *are* different, aren't they?
>
> extern POBJECT_TYPE *IoFileObjectType; /* <- Official DDK headers */
> extern NTOSAPI POBJECT_TYPE IoFileObjectType; /* <- W32API headers */

Slightly different in the way you access the object, but both export the
pointer.

> Alex, you say, in another reply, we will build soon ros using the
> w32api headers. If so, should this be fixed?

Eventually, yes, but right now I just want it to be able to build.