[ros-dev] Wine I/O Manager for Kernel Services

Filip Navara xnavara at volny.cz
Thu Jan 6 06:38:33 CET 2005

Brad DeMorrow wrote:

> When a kernel service is started, it's DriverEntry routine is called
> with a
> DRIVER_OBJECT. In which thread does that happen ?

Depends on the way the driver is loaded. On system start the drivers are
loaded in system process context (in the first thread typical, but that
mustn't be true of WinXP anymore). On demand drivers started with SCM
API are loaded in context of Services thread. The driver shouldn't
normally depend on that.

> Is a new kernel thread started for that ?

No.

> Can DriverEntry block or must it return immediately ?

Immediately.

>  In which thread do the dispatch routines run when they are
> called from user-space ?

In context of the user-space thread that called them.

Regards,
Filip