[ros-dev] Proposal to change .sym files

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.com
Tue Jan 11 15:19:11 CET 2005

> From: Royce Mitchell III
>
> The only reason I didn't do something like this was because I was
> worried about the effect on build-time, which at the moment
> is already horrendous. If this sorting can be done quickly
> ( i.e. have minimal effect on build time), then I think it's
> a great idea.

My gut feeling is that it won't impact build time very much, but I won't
know for sure until I've coded the thing.

> Also, how much larger do you anticipate the sym files
> getting, and do we have the kmode address space available
> to devote to this increase in size with room to spare?

A STAB_ENTRY as currently used is 12 bytes, my proposed SYM_ENTRY is 16
bytes. There can be multiple STAB_ENTRYs for a single address, while there
will be only 1 SYM_ENTRY. Strings are handled the same by both formats, they
are stored in a string table. All in all, I'd guess the new sym files to be
10% larger than the old ones. Seems a reasonable price to pay.

> I apologize if some of these questions are stupid ;)

No such thing as a stupid question. Perhaps asking on IRC whether accept()
works is annoying, but it's still not stupid ;)

Gé van Geldorp.