[ros-dev] Proposal to change .sym files

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.com
Tue Jan 11 21:39:04 CET 2005

> From: Hartmut Birr
> Sometimes ago there has exist a profiling function which has
> used the hash table functions from ex\hashtable.c. The problem
> is that the hash table functions uses the splay tree functions
> which are broken. In my local sources I had replaced the splay
> tree by a simple double linked list. I've never see such speed
> problems. This was at the begining of  2003. I had used the
> profiling for compiling ros on ros.

Yes, sounds like the same profiling stuff I'm using. I already talked to
Casper (original author of the hashtable stuff) about the splay tree.

Note that my profiling experiment is sort of a worst-case scenario. I'm
using a 300 MHz machine which is not exactly roaring with power. I have a
foreground thread running the functions I want to profile, which is
completely CPU bound. So basically the foreground and profile-conversion
thread each get 50% of the CPU. Timing was done by calling
KeQueryTickCount() at beginning and end of the conversion and printing the

Compiling ros on ros might be a little different, as that might not be CPU
bound. Throw in a faster CPU and the conversion might go a lot faster.

Gé van Geldorp.

More information about the Ros-dev mailing list