[ros-dev] usb - UHCI, OHCI and EHCI implementations

Mark Tempel mtempel at visi.com
Fri Jan 14 09:38:42 CET 2005

Ryan O'Connor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is Polonium from the irc channel (although I’m not in there all
> the time)
>
> Just trying to gather what’s happening with USB support, more
> specifically the host controller interfaces that are required to lie
> below the usb device drivers.
>

> Is there anyone currently working on this?
>
> If not, are there any programmers who would like to solely focus on
> implementing, for example, a universal host controller interface for
> ReactOS.
>

> While I do not know much about the topic myself, with ample resources
> and team members I may be able to make a good start. Anyone else
> interested? The specifications for the interfaces can be found on the
> Intel website.
>

> Regards
>
> Ryan O’Connor
>

> ---

I have in my local tree, stubs for usbport, usbuhci, usbehci, usbohci,
and usbhub
I was going to wait till I got a bit more of the needed headers put
together before
commiting it all to SVN.

If you want to start, I would suggest reading MSDN, specifically the
section regarding
the USB stack in WindowsXP.  There isn't alot of information there, but
if you read
through the USB structure definitions, you can get an idea of how usbhub
connects
to usbport.

I was planning to do the usbport->usbuhci part first.  I don't think
that it would be easy
to split that work among developers yet.  This is because the interface
between usbport
and its miniport drivers is completely undocumented.  I'll be creating
this as I go along.

Once usbport->usbuchi works, then someone else can take on making
usbohci or usbehci
if they wish.  However, I'm willing to be that we will need to rework
the interface between
usbport and its miniports when we implement the second miniport.

I'm glad that other people want to help with USB (it is a rather large
undertaking).  We do
have several pieces that we need (other than the controller stack).  We
need:
-USBD.SYS
-HIDPARSE.SYS
-(the rest of the HID pieces in the OS)
I'm sure that there is more than that...

It would be great if someone started working on those peices while I'm
getting the host
controller to work.

--mark