[ros-dev] Build number: a proposal

Joseph Galbraith galb at vandyke.com
Sat Jan 22 15:21:58 CET 2005

Ge van Geldorp wrote:
>>From: K McI
>>
>>Magnus Olsen wrote:
>>| I like this idea
>>| ReactOS 0.3-SVN (Build 20050121 Repo 13128)
>>| as build number
>>
>>Why not do it in the format Windows seems to do: ReactOS
>>0.3.0-SVN (Build 20051010: Revision 14000). Or maybe with
>>spaces for easier reading (Build 2005 10 10: Revision 14 000)?
>

> The biggest obstacle I see is actually getting the SVN revision number in
> our source somewhere. Maybe our local SVN guru, aka Casper, has an idea how
> to do this?

The TortiseSVN folk have a little utility:

"SubWCRev.exe: a small command line tool which you can use in your build
steps. It takes a file as an argument and replaces all "$WCREV$" strings
with the revision of your working copy. This is useful if you want to
include the Subversion revision in the version of your project. If you
need an example, check out the TortoiseSVN source and/or have a look at
the small help file."

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/download.html

- Joseph