[ros-dev] Re: We have a web browser : Input ?

barry day _bjd_ at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 25 12:18:13 CET 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:49:17PM -0500, Richard Campbell wrote:
> If internet explorer were a 'mistake' it wouldn't have a 92% user base.
> If it isn't working, people wouldn't use it.  It took quite a long time
> for a worthy competitor (firefox) to appear.  Anyways, cloning internet
> explorer is outside the scope of this project.  It may BE a part of
> windows, but we can install it (IE5 at least) seperately (eventually).

What the user base is depends on who you ask. Nobody appears to have
irrefutable up-to-date figures. And do you describe a program that CERT advises
people not to use as "works"?

But lets not argue over this. My reason for posting my commments is simply
because I think some of us are only aiming at implementing a clone whereas I
feel we should be striving to create a compatible OS that is even better, and
I get the impression from the faq on the wiki site that was one of the reasons
for this project's existence.

But on the other hand that risks becoming bogged down in discussion about how
things should be done. If at the end of the day we end up with nothing more
than an open source clone of Windows that I can hack on I will still be happy.