[ros-dev] multiboot.S patch in need of review, please

Royce Mitchell III royce3 at ev1.net
Wed Jan 26 19:14:39 CET 2005

Hartmut Birr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think your patch will never work. There are used some offsets which
> based on the '/3GB' switch and other ones are hard coded by KERNEL_BASE.

Never? :( Some offsets have to use KERNEL_BASE, and some based on the
3GB switch. I carefully reviewed which were necessary at each point, tho
I may have overlooked something. If you like I can go into detail why
this is necessary, and why I'm sure it will work.

> IMHO, the boot code should not search for the '/3GB' option. The
> kernel base address must be send by freeldr. The boot code must not
> contain any KERNEL_BASE value. I've add your patch to my source tree.
> On the smp machine, ros reboots in the very early boot phase. It is
> before the call to _main.

Can you shed some light on how exactly app cpus actually get
initialized? This will help me to understand more fully what I'm doing.