[ros-dev] win32k message queue problem

James Tabor jimtabor at adsl-64-217-116-74.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net
Mon Jul 25 04:44:29 CEST 2005

Hi,
Hartmut Birr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems there exist a problem with the message queues. If a process is
> terminated (killed) from outside, the thread message queue is deleted
> before the last window is deleted. If there is a message (key or mouse)
> for this window, the window does access the already freed message queue.
> This will crash the system. Possible it is related to the paged pool
> memory corruption bug. I've a (dirty) fix for this problem.
>
> - Hartmut

I tested this patch with AbiWord. I selected one of the color selector down
menus. This always generates an bug check and the program terminates with
window threads still resident. Now I exit explorer to shutdown the system.
Instead of locking up and hitting the reset button, the system shut down
normally. Was this test close to what you have seen? Or am I off in left field?
Thanks,
James