[ros-dev] RE: [ros-svn] [gdalsnes] 16793: my 1st

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Thu Jul 28 22:36:13 CEST 2005

Richard wrote:

> This wasn't directed at any one person :P
>
> This is directed at everyone in general.  A problem i've noticed that
> alotta devs are having is a problem i tend to have as well.  In order
> for ReactOS to actually become a useable, viable desktop alternative
> someday, goals need to be SET and MET.  You set a goal, and you work
> towards the goal.  When all the goals are met, you release a new
> version.  Remember 0.3?  It was due out last year wasn't it?  It's now
> almost NEXT year and there is still a lot of work to do for 0.3.

Setting goals is one thing, but meeting them is another. ReactOS is not
a company. Although we try really hard to set certain goals, there is no
rule saying "Thomas, you can't implement NTMARTA! We are supposed to
work on networking" or "Hartmut, stop fixing the Cache Manager, fix
networking instead!" or "Filip, stop working on NT compatibility, we
need networking!!". If we do that, then all the devs would simply not do
any more work. ReactOS is a free environment where everyone does what he
wants. Mathematically, 8 developers working on one feature, then all
working on another feature, then all working on another feature versus 8
developers working each on their own features equals to the same. In the
short term, one gives you your goal much faster (yay, we have
networking), but leaves everythign else in the dust (video? multi-user?
pnp? dust in the wind...). The other method, in the short term, gives
you an impression of nothing working (which is true, since everything is
only, say 10% implemented), but in the long run will give you a complete
system. ReactOS has chosen to follow that second method.