[ros-dev] New Release - how're you feeling?

Murphy, Ged (Bolton) MurphyG at cmpbatteries.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 11:07:06 CEST 2005

Robert k. wrote:

> Hi,
> let's put it this way: I have no problem in doing an
> intermediate release. NEither idealistic nor by work. For my
> unterstanding, releases are time driven, not feature driven.
> So you're currently not feeling good for having a release
> build? I asked for a release one month ago, but I have to
> admit, not inbetween, anymore. So if not more people are
> worrying, I think we should have a try ???
>

> WaxDragon said:
> > I've been asking for a intermediate release for a month now, and
> > frankly now is not a good time.  HEAD is going to need a
> while (again)
> > after all of these header changes.  After we got rbuild stabilized
> > would have been a good time, but several of the developers
> are stuck
> > in this "No more 0.2.x releases" mentality.
> >
> > We are not going to get to 0.3.0 anytime soon unless someone other
> > than arty works on networking (or we change the requirements for
> > 0.3.0).
> >
> > WD

We need regular releases to keep public interest. New releases generate
interest outside of the community, which can only be a good thing, even if
they don't contain radical new features.

I agree with WD about networking. Arty is busy with the new job, and nobody
else is working on networking. Considering networking is meant to be the key
feature for the 0.3 release, then either people need to start working on
networking or the 0.3 goalposts need to be changed.

I would be more than happy to help with networking in any way I can, however
I'm not yet up to a standard to get my hands dirty with the core
infrastructure. With a mentor, and a little guidance, maybe myself and a few
others might be of more use in this area. (this is where I'm aiming)

Regards,
Ged.

The information contained in this message or any of its
attachments is confidential and is intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee. The information may also be legally
privileged. The views expressed may not be company policy,
but the personal views of the originator. If you are not the
addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
postmaster at exideuk.co.uk
<mailto:postmaster at exideuk.co.uk> and then delete this message.

Exide Technologies is an industrial and transportation battery
producer and recycler with operations in 89 countries.
Further information can be found at www.exide.com