[ros-dev] Registry and ObjectManager (was FreeLdr Part II)

Casper Hornstrup ch at csh-consult.dk
Wed Mar 9 19:58:56 CET 2005

I hope the parties involved don't take this personally, but I have to speak my mind about something I think we're doing terribly
wrong and as a result is hurting the project.

Basicly we have the following situation (and please correct me if I'm wrong). Hartmut spends some time examining the registry and
object manager problems. Alex has partially rewritten the object manager to fix the problems, but can't get get further because he
needs to wait for Thomas to finish his handle table implementation. Meanwhile, Thomas seems to be doing everything but finishing his
handle table implementation. Alex keeps an increasing number of bugfixes (not only bugfixes for the object manager) on his private
miscelanea branch and thus keeping these bugfixes away from 25 developers and whatever number of testers we have. The 25 developers
and testers will have to live with these bugs until the branch is merged to trunk which appears to be several weeks away. Hartmut
seems to be willing to fix the object manager and registry manager bugs on trunk, but if he now did, he would be duplicating work.

If this is what has happened, then we should make sure it doesn't happen again so we don't waste our (very) limited resources. If
this is not what happened then I apologise for wasting bandwidth on this mail.

Casper