[ros-dev] Registry and ObjectManager (was FreeLdr Part II)

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Thu Mar 10 18:34:03 CET 2005

Casper Hornstrup wrote:

> [...]
I agree, but I just want to clear up something.... this was never
supposed to happen. I never planned for my branch to be ready for 0.2.6
release. However, both Steven and James wanted 0.2.6 delayed until the
merge, so that some stuff they considered blockers could be fixed. This
is why it became an ugly combination, and I know it's been frustrating.

>* Bugs that that could have been fixed on trunk are annoying to trunk
>developers. The bugfixes that go only to the branch are not in trunk (until
>merged there from the branch) where most developers work and is thus
>annoying to these developers.

This comment continues to seriously piss me off, but I will try to be as
diplomatic as possible. The bugfixes that went in my branch are my own
work, my own code, and wholy owned and copyrighted by me (just like any
other code anyone writes). It was my decision to write that code, and it
is my decision if I want to share it. There is nothing stopping me from
deleting the whole branch tomorrow morning (except for Thomas's patch),
if I feel like it. Of course, I will not do that, because I believe in
the effort that everyone brings to this project, and I want to help out.

Those bugs have been in trunk *forever*. This, the developpers have been
annoyed *forever*. If this were truly the case, then either:

1) All the developers would have nervous breakdowns by now, having been
"annoyed" for the last 7 years.
2) They would've found and fixed the bugs, being higly "annoyed" by them.

This did not happen. Why? Because those bugs were 1) unknown to the
developers, and also 2) not affecting them at this stage. Those who knew
about it simply told themselves "it doesn't break anything for now, so
someone will fix it later". The exception to this is Steven's bug.

So please don't try to tell me that developers are being "annoyed".
Developers should be *thankful* that I took the time to review the whole
Executive/Kernel (ex/ke) and fixed dozens of bugs and implemented new
APIs, and that Thomas added more SEH to the functions. I have not once
heard any developer speak of this "annoyance", so maybe it would be wise
not to use "the developers" in your sentence.

I am really not trying to be an asshole here, but I consider the work
that ANY developer does a gift. I consider your work on rbuild a gift to
ReactOS and to me. I am not annoyed by the fact rbuild is not in trunk
now, but that you've been using it for months. Instead, I thank you for
your effort and dedication, and I anxiously await the result. I would
give and expect the same attitude towards and from any other developer.
You are not annoying me for having worked on your branch for months now,
why am I annoying you for having worked on mine for two weeks? One could
argue that the deficencies of "make" are much more annoying then some
kernel bugs which won't come into play until later when we get serious
about stability and drivers. I appreciate the fact you've decided to
attack them, no matter how long it takes (btw, this also goes to Royce
and everyone else working on it, as well as to Hartmut for Cc).

>* Risk of duplicating work. We'll have more branches to track bugfixes on
>so it's harder to know which bugs has been fixed and which hasn't.

I have tracked and merged all bug fixes, because I'm doing a good job at
it. Instead, you should be happy that the bugs which plagued my branch
did not affect trunk until they were fixed, which saved a lot more grief.