[ros-dev] Registry and ObjectManager (was FreeLdr Part II)

Casper Hornstrup ch at csh-consult.dk
Fri Mar 11 10:11:07 CET 2005

> >* Bugs that that could have been fixed on trunk are annoying
> to trunk
> >developers. The bugfixes that go only to the branch are not in trunk
> >(until merged there from the branch) where most developers
> work and is
> >thus annoying to these developers.
> >

> This comment continues to seriously piss me off, but I will
> try to be as diplomatic as possible. The bugfixes that went
> in my branch are my own work, my own code, and wholy owned
> and copyrighted by me (just like any other code anyone
> writes). It was my decision to write that code, and it is my
> decision if I want to share it. There is nothing stopping me
> from deleting the whole branch tomorrow morning (except for
> Thomas's patch), if I feel like it. Of course, I will not do
> that, because I believe in the effort that everyone brings to
> this project, and I want to help out.

What I'm saying is, that if we allow developers to keep bugfixes
on miscellanea branches then we don't have an as effective
organisation as we could have. I will compare it to using empty
commit log messages. It's good for the committer since he's not
going to have to spend time describing his changes. He already
knows his change as he wrote them. It's bad for all other project
members since they don't know about what was changed.

If the general consensus is that it is alright to have this
kind of branches, then I will respect that decision.

Casper