[ros-dev] Idea to save time in future - Language Support AndUse in Reactos

Radovan Skolnik Radovan_Skolnik at tempest.sk
Sat Mar 12 13:40:40 CET 2005

Hello guuys (and girls if any out there)!

Until now I have been watching the development of ReactOS with great
interest but as a not-so-great C/C++ programmer (especially for kernel
stuff) I felt no urge to add my (for you would be worthless) comments :-)
However the discussion about localizing ReactOS struck me because I think
there's one thing in/for M$ Windows/Office you probably don't know about
that already handles this. It is called MUI (Multilingual User Interface
Pack) - read about it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx What it does is
that it adds another combo box to Regional Settings in Control Panel and
each user can choose language to its liking (from those installed of
course). I can have a look at install media for few languages but as far as
I remember it is only bunch of .inf & .dll (probably resources) files. So I
believe there is indeed an API to achieve this. So if you're aiming for
maximum compatibility with original Windows (whatever version) you should
probably consider this approach. I'm home and sick now with flu but when I
get well I'll research the MUI media in more detailed way and let you
know...

Best regards

   Radovan Skolnik